might be coming back to traktor!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default might be coming back to traktor!

So, long story short about 1.5 years ago i got into djing by using traktor software and numark controller.
    When S4 came, I jumped on it, I liked it but felt like I wanted to try something else so I picked up cdjs 1000 and a djm400 mixer, started burning cds and going down that road..

Now I'm kind of back to the more digital area, having upgraded with cdjs 850(rekordbox) and a djm 800.

Now, to the point. I know how to use traktor and some easy mapping stuff but i'm not a mapping guru. A vision came up in my head.. using the djm 800 as a midicontroller together with either 1 x1 or 2. I tried to search after videos.. or threads of people that have done this mapping (and replacing their cdjs with x1's and computor).
    But I could not find any which I think is weird hence it's a powerful combo.
    Thought id just throw out the question, anyone out there using a mixer(if you also got the 800, great) with just X1's instead of turntables?
    What mapping in that case? Do you find it to be a better solution(If I want to save some money and sell the turntables) or would you prefer to keep the tables and play cds/usb).
    Now with rekordbox its really easy to organize your library and make waveforms before your gig which was the features I liked most with traktor.
    Then the effects like beatmasher and others is just extra goodies
    So basically I'd just like to hear your opinion and perhaps sharing your experience.

Regards
    Martin Beijer

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use a Denon DNX1600 mixer and two X1's. The Denon is Traktor Scratch certified so that cuts out the need for a soundcard. The mapping on the X1's are pretty much just stock with a few minor changes made to them. One does transport stuff and the other handles sample decks.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

okay, would a audio2dj do fine? I mean if I just midimapped the whole mixer and used 2 X1's. Or would I need more channels on soundcard to use 4 channels on mixer?

Or do I even have to use the mixer as midicontroller if I can do all transport/play/cue with X1's?
    Perhaps I could just keep it as a plain mixer?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The DJM 800 is weird in the way it's midi is setup. I don't really know much about that aspect of it so someone will have to chime in on that. If you're going to mix internally and not hook up any external stuff all you need is an audio 2 and 1 X1, but I like two better. I've done shows with nothing but an A2 and two X1's.

Midi mapping an 800 to control Traktor internally is a waste of money imo.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

yeah I know it's a waste of money. Although the 800 is what I like most with my dj setup right now.
    Got a friend who uses a djm400 + x1 + traktor. Minimal cost but perfect for 2 channels.
    I got this 850+800 set cuz of the amazing price, could sell them right now and earn money so thats kind of why im looking around for alternatives.
    Would like to use traktor again(if i got something that already had an midimapping that was tested and proven), but would be totally fine with just rekordbox.

But couldnt I use x1 + audio2dj and djm 800 in externalmode or is it that crap with certified mixers? (would work with the 900 nexus?)

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beijer View Post
    But couldnt I use x1 + audio2dj and djm 800 in externalmode or is it that crap with certified mixers?
    You could as long as you don't want to use time code. The certified mixer thing only matters for Traktor Scratch. But, you'd only be able to use 2 decks, not 4. To use 4 decks, you need 4 stereo outputs. Traktor doesn't like sending out mono signals…at least not when I tried it. So you can't even really do that.

The cheapest ways to do that are to either get an older Audio 8 DJ or a second Audio 2 and build an aggregate device. Note that the later only works on OS X and isn't ideal…but it is cheap and does work.

Also…I mix with a pair of X1s and either a controller or a mixer. Love it. But I'm pretty far away from the default mappings.

X1 #1 controls decks A and B, which are full track decks. Everything from the Browse knobs down is mapped as normal except that the Browse knob's shift+push control also selects a specific favorite playlist slot when it switched to the only browser view. Loading a track also turns off only browser view. Oh, I also un-mapped the FX1 and FX2 on buttons for both decks.

I also ditched all of the effects controls when I realized that I never use them.

The knobs are 4-band EQ controls over the software xone EQ. Shift+button 3 unloads either deck A or B if it's stopped. Buttons On, 1, and 2 don't do anything right now, but they'll probably end up controlling the browser in some way. The 4 lights (buttons on, 1, 2, 3) on the left are pre-fader level meters for my 4 decks…mostly because it's pretty. The 4 lights on the right are a 4-segment master level meter, and I have a separate mapping for using an external meter so that they'll turn on when I'm running out of headroom so I can avoid clipping my sound card outs without using Traktor's limiter…which sounds like tin cans and a string.

Adding those level meters and ditching effects means that I don't ever look at the laptop when mixing…only when loading tracks/samples.

X1 #2 controls decks C and D, which are now sample decks. Basically, it uses the default mapping with some changes. First, the 8 knobs at the top control slot levels instead of filters. The buttons still turn on/off filters, and the filters are controlled by the select functionality (shift + even numbered hot cue buttons) and the browse knob. Basically, I just swapped filter and level controls because levels are more important IMHO. Shift + the buttons at the top sends the slot to the headphones. I'm not quite done yet…as I'd really like to be able to browse and load samples from the controller…just need to find the right places to put it. I'll probably end up moving the filters down to the loop encoder and returning the browse encoder to its normal function. I'll probably do loading with the hotcue buttons or something.

And as a mixer, I usually either use my lpd8 (because it's small and I like rotary mixers) or my xone:62. Because of the way I like to use sample decks, though, I'm about to try to sell the xone and my vcm to get an Empath Rotary, 'cuz I've always loved the empaths and want a rotary. 3 channels would be perfect for the way I use Traktor.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'm about to try to sell the xone and my vcm to get an Empath Rotary, 'cuz I've always loved the empaths and want a rotary. 3 channels would be perfect for the way I use Traktor.
    Off topic I know but the Empath is a VERY nice mixer. Been drooling over those since they came out and even almost ten years later, it's still one of the nicer mixers out there.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

yeah - rotary knobs for main levels are cool.
    But the sliders on the 800 is really nice silky and with perfect resistance(think its magnetic?).

Thanks for sharing mostapha,

I will definately dive into how to incorporate x1s or similar controllers in my setup.
    But this will have to wait, just got my new apartment yesterday and doing some renovation!
    For now my cd decks will do.

soo.. If I would decide NOT to use any kind of tables, I would not need scratch right? Just 2x audio 2 dj or audio 4dj+ for 4 channels?
    However I wonder about that scratch thing, with the 850 HID mode I know i dont need timecodes but do I need scratch version on traktor still? cuz i only have pro 2 now.

The DJM 800 is weird in the way it's midi is setup. I don't really know much about that aspect of it so someone will have to chime in on that.
    Before going fully digital I used the djm800 as it was part of my existing set up. The thing is it's not very good tool as a midi controller, there are few controls available in the end and some of them keep their native 'mixer' functions so that's very restrictive.

Thought id just throw out the question, anyone out there using a mixer(if you also got the 800, great) with just X1's instead of turntable
    Same here even if I used 1D(s) and a 2D from A&H (the 2D as I needed a soundcard anyway). It was an ok set up. If I had to choose nowadays for the same set up, I would change for the next-to-come K2 instead of NI's X1.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast