how nice should you be at a dj competition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default how nice should you be at a dj competition

took part in a dj comp last night and i was up 1st, i take my own everything to a gig. The mixer was a dim 600, wasn't in the best state but with a bit of tweaking was ok.

we all got 20 mins. however at first i got no volume in the head phones and only got any sound in one ear. also only cue no master, and there was a slight delay on the bars monitors.

btw it was a hip hop competition so i was constantly busy mixing or scratching, but after about ten mins i worked out how to get the headphones working, they would only work in mono, but worked fine like that. the gains where all over the place when i got to the mixer they where turned to low but the bass and mid where turned to about 4 o'clock so turned them back to 12 and the gains up.

a few other issues but i won't bore u, however ended up lending my needles and slip mats to half the compertition.

my question is should I of been this nice at a dj comp or should i just of turned all the stuff back to how it was wen i got there

Surprised that at a hip-hop competition people didn't bring their own needles and mats ... I take it they were the utterly amateur end of things?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

I think you did the right thing tbh. Returning the settings to their non-working conditions wouldn't be right. You'd be right to be annoyed though, they should have working gear if they expect people to compete.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

You did the right thing keeping the mixer how you had it.

However I wouldn't share my needles especially at a competition to people I didn't know. I'm not sure what they expected showing up to a competition without needles. If they damage yours then what happens?

DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I always use the mixer how i want it but always adjust to suit how the sound tech/head resident says it should be used.

But as for lending my equipment, i would have said no! Iv had bad experienced lending headphones, needles etc but been fortunate enough to get stuff replaced. If you are entering a DJ comp you bring all accessories needed i think anyways.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I think you did the right thing tbh. Returning the settings to their non-working conditions wouldn't be right. You'd be right to be annoyed though, they should have working gear if they expect people to compete.
    THIS.

You did the right thing. You should also have mentioned it to the organiser. Not in a typical DJ whining kinda way but pointed out how you had to lend other DJs what is actually essential kit that ALL djs must have. You were professional and the others were not. You might not win the comp but you won on being pro and thats gotta be seen as a good thing by the promoter.

Ive never turned up without my own slipmats and carts.

World English Dictionary
    competition (ˌkɒmpɪˈtɪʃən)
    —n
    1. the act of competing; rivalry
    2. a contest in which a winner is selected from among two or more entrants
    3. a series of games, sports events, etc
    4. the opposition offered by a competitor or competitors
    5. a competitor or competitors offering opposition
    6. ecology the struggle between individuals of the same or different species for food, space, light, etc, when these are inadequate to supply the needs of all

I'm a huge believer in helping others when you can, but at a competition, its every man for himself to prove he is better. That means his knowledge of what gear will work best for him, being prepared with everything as well.

main reason why i dont spin on records anymore is bc when i'd dj parties needles would always get broken by somebody drunk (atleast once a month) and as soon as you realized it, they're gone.
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Tech Guru

i didn't win the comp, it was for a gig at a club unpaid only really did it as was bored that night. the lad that won it played a mega commercial set, however the comp organiser asked for something not too commercial at the bar but wanted commercial at the club.

however the guy who owned the bar wants me to play there so thats a bonus

one thing that was strange was that my multicore cables didn't work. on both channels it gave me the timecode sound, was very odd. just used normal rca's instead, i had them spare aswell.

I would never have given anyone my needles. I always believed in dj's don't share needles! I've lost quite a few slipmats after letting others use them too.

I don't use vinyl anymore so now it's not an issue.
    The thing I still don't share are my headphones!! I have a set of headphone covers just in case I really have to (I wouldnt leave anyone stuck,could happen to anyone)

Back when I was in college we had earmuffs for protection and we were made aware of all the nasty things you could get from sharing!
    The Djtt Psychic Network has closed for the day. If you need help from the non-psychic members of the forum, you need to be more specific
    http://soundcloud.com/djsidetrakd
    Check out my midifighter extreme!! http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast