Monitors on the cheap
    Tech Convert

Default Monitors on the cheap

Anyone have suggestions on very inexpensive monitors or speakers to use practicing at home? I'm thinking maybe using a 2 piece bookshelf system while I save up for some KRK's or similar. Would that work?

I also have access to a pair of old-ish school Cerwin Vega bookshelf speakers. They are passive. Any suggestions on a cheap amp to power them?

I'm basically looking for clever temporary alternatives in getting around buying some proper monitors. Ideas welcomed. Thanks!

Get a cheap amp or stereo receiver on craigslist. You could probably even find a few decent "bookshelf" speakers cheap.

Unless you need crystal clear unprocessed monitors, KRK's are not worth it. For production work, they're great, but the way I see it, you can get louder speakers that sound better by simply shopping around for some regular stereo components. Then, you have something that doubles as a regular stereo.

Try a few thrift stores. You're likely to find a descent solid state amp/receiver to power those CV bookshelf speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Unless you need crystal clear unprocessed monitors, KRK's are not worth it. For production work, they're great, but the way I see it, you can get louder speakers that sound better by simply shopping around for some regular stereo components. Then, you have something that doubles as a regular stereo.
    I think I disagree with you, especially for $300 for a pair or RP5G2s. I haven't heard any hifi system for that price that sounds anywhere near as good. And, hell, I use them for production, djing, normal listening…even watching movies.

I'm not saying you're wrong…but I'd love to hear these "cheaper than $300 for a pair that are louder and better-sounding than KRK" speakers that people keep talking about. I've looked, and I can't find them.

As to the OP…if you can't afford $300 for a pair of monitors that are certainly good enough for a bedroom…spend as little money as possible. Like…$50 at the top end. Anything you buy will get thrown away when you have $~300 to spend, and you'll hate using them anyway. If you or a buddy has a computer 2.1 system sitting around, use that.

just keep saving and then get better KRKs
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Tech Convert

Thanks all! I have a really blah 2.1 system that has some seriously lacking mids and sounds tinny. I might use that in the meantime as I think using my 15" powered speaker is a bit much at home.

I'ma give the thrift stores a quick visit. I always see receivers piled up on each other and ignore them, but they might be worth sifting through.

Tech Mentor

I had posted this in another thread, so here it is again...

If colour doesn't matter to you, Unique Squared has the rokit 6 in white for 139.00 with free shipping. Use coupon code inc500YAY! for 10% off first time orders or theres another code, SXSW2011MS for 10% off.

You'll end up with 2 Rokit 6's for about 250 shipped.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/krk-rp6...tor-white.html