Setup question (Traktor 2)
    Tech Convert

Default Setup question (Traktor 2)

Hey guys,
    So I'm going to do my first gig soon (18 november) and I want to make sure everything is prepared before I go.
    So I use my laptop and I figured the following stuff out about CDJ's and Traktor:

- If the CDJ is not natively supported:
    * Use timecode CD + Soundcard + (USB attachements?)

- If CDJ is supported:
    * just use the inbuilt soundcard attached with USB

So I was wondering (I don't know atm which setup will be there, asking it atm) how I have to connect those stuff to my laptop. Do I have to connect my CDJ's to my mixer and then put a USB cable to my laptop
    or do I have to connect all CDJ's + mixer with laptop
    or do I just have to connect my CDJ's to my laptop (put on MIDI mode if supported) and then configure Traktor?

And my final question: How do you make the 2 CDJ's into 1 soundcard for traktor? (I'm using Windows)

Greets,
    Rob

Hrmmm...

In order to use timecode (vinyl or cd) you need a NI soundcard. Audio DJ 4/6/8/10 or a Traktor Scratch certified mixer. Otherwise it's a no go.

Second, even using CDJs in native mode will require a sound card of some sort if you plan on cueing up tracks in your headphones.

CDJs connect to your sound card in timecode mode. Then the outs from the sound card go into each channel on the mixer respectively.

The CDJs connect directly to your laptop via USB cables in native mode. Then the main audio out from your sound card gets plugged into any open channel on the mixer.

I'm trying to help out here, but to be honest, it doesn't sound like you bought Traktor.

If you did, you didn't buy Traktor Scratch which is required for timecode use as it comes bundled with a sound card.

Tech Convert

I'm planning on upgrading, i'm just wondering how. So why it wouldn't be possible to cue your tracks in native mode ?

To use cdjs you need a traktor scratch package with either a traktor certified soundcard or scratch certified mixer.

If you don't have either you can use a controller via midi.

To cue the music in headphones you need a soundcard
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

Just wondering, but I thought the CDJ already have an inbuilt soundcard? (like the 2000 for laptop)

btw, I bought traktor cheap from a friend, that's why I don't have the soundcard

Tech Wizard

correct if I'm wrong someone, but I think the CDJ's have an inbuilt timecode, not a sound card.
    - 2011 13" MBP | Akai LPD8 | KRK MP5's | iPhone 4 TouchOSC Custom Map -
    - Traktor Duo 2 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | NI Audio 2 -

http://www.pioneerdj.eu/eur/content/.../cdj-2000.html

Another key facet of the CDJ-2000 is its advanced HID (human interface device) and MIDI capabilities for native control of DVS (digital vinyl systems) via USB. What’s more, it achieves Pioneer’s highest sound quality to date through an improved audio output circuit, a new audiophile-pleasing Wolfson DAC processor, and a built-in 24-bit/48 kHz sound card.
    No timecode, just HID. Jack Beats did a routine with CDJ/DJM-2000s and HID controlling Serato.

Edit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKmrv5brLQ

At around 2:05, talk about intergration of Traktor/Serato begins. I'm assuming OP uses CDJ-2000s.
    Last edited by Onimode; 11-03-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote Originally Posted by moR123 View Post
    Just wondering, but I thought the CDJ already have an inbuilt soundcard? (like the 2000 for laptop)

btw, I bought traktor cheap from a friend, that's why I don't have the soundcard
    Not all soundcards are created equal. Only a Traktor Certified Mixer or an Audio 4/6/8/10 (and a legitimate and registered version of Traktor Scratch Pro/Duo) will allow you to use Scratch functionality.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers