Help hooking up sound system

Default Help hooking up sound system

I recently upgraded my setup by purchasing two self-powered FBT Verve 15a speakers.

Can someone please tell me the easiest/best way to add them to my current setup?

I have previously been running two FBT Verve 12's with an amp, two subs with an amp, and running everything through a Peavey VSX26 Crossover (speaker management system).

My question is should I be using the crossover built in to the active speakers or run all speakers through my VSX26?

The first time I setup this new system I ran XLR to my active speakers and then back to my inputs of the VSX26 from the thru of my speakers, essentially just using the crossovers in the speakers.

I have two more outputs on the VSX26 that I can use, however; I do not know what setting to program them at.

Would the way I set it up before be better, or should I try to find the program settings for my speakers to input into the VSX26?

Thanks!

Tech Guru

The FBT 15a are self powered and therefore contain their own x-over so it's going to be pointless to run them thru the Peavey. Basically the way you had it set-up the first time seems correct to me.

manchild- thanks for the quick response. The only negative I see to hooking it up the way I did before is I have to use twice as much XLR cable, cable going to speakers and cable going back to crossover inputs.

Is there any other benefit or drawback to this setup? Could I program the VSX to match the crossover on the speakers and eliminate XLR cables?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by johnnotestine View Post
    Is there any other benefit or drawback to this setup? Could I program the VSX to match the crossover on the speakers and eliminate XLR cables?

You have to check the all the connections on the speaker to see if there is a way to bypass the x-over. What I would do if you are worried about running a lot of cable, is take your sound signal and run it to the x-over first, then since you said you have a couple outputs open I would set one as ALL-Pass, then run my powered speakers off that.

Great, that makes perfect sense! Just let the whole signal come through the crossover and use the crossover on the speakers.

Thanks!