How did you guys go about forming your DJ persona
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default How did you guys go about forming your DJ persona

Just curious what some of the steps/introspection you guys did in coming up with your DJ persona/brand. I have been DJing for the past 3 years and realized the most important thing a DJ (or anyone) can have is trust. What does this have to do with branding/persona...

I feel like a lot of DJ's promo material or status updates are all trying to be "cool" or something that they're not. There is a lack of congruency and a whole lot of over promising and under delivering.

With all the resources available it is now really easy to pick up on the authentic people and the fakes . I think it is now very important to make sure that who you are as a DJ is not a fake persona but more like an enlarged or extended version of your personality. It's just being yourself and be willing to put that in the spotlight.

With that being said i've decided to reevaluate the image i'd like to portray and make sure that is consistent when i'm djing and when i'm not. So i'll throw the question out there again, how did you hone in on your style.

The only advice I can think of is just keep it real and true to what you like. Peruse your own interests and style. I pride myself a little bit in being unique and this results in lots of variation and happiness in my life and I try to positively impact others. My two least favorite qualities are people that are fake and people that are rude for no reason. I don't really know if that's what you're looking for haha.

dj sb, when i see your links at the bottom they make the German flag,, sind sie deutsch?

...Back on topic,
    A HUGE part of any performing art is being able to differentiate between who your stage "character" is and who you are. If you are naturally that dude that hops around to the beat and is constantly dancing to the music, it will be easy. If you are a quiet person who keeps to themselves generally, then you will need an image to portray, as you are up front and center stage. Image has become a massive part of DJing as of late because of the demand for branding. "Being yourself" may not work for everyone, especially if you are a very introverted person who is passionate about spinning tracks. That's my 2 cents on the topic.
    I haven't been DJing long enough to have to put out an image yet, so I can't say how I have shaped my "brand", but I can speak to the need FOR a brand.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

I've been DJing for a while now, and i know alot of DJ's, in Stockholm everyone want's to be a DJ haha.

So .. What i've noticed is that people are scared of dancing in the booth and having fun with the crowd because they're afraid of looking like a total ass.
    I was scared in the beginning to, but one night i decided to just dont give a rats ass, and it worked. Now i never stand still in the booth, and when people enter the dancefloor and see me dance, they dance with me.. It becomes alot more fun then it was before when i was just standing there playing tunes.

One thing i also do is talk in the mic when i have a good song and a good vibe on the floor, saying like "Put your hands up" or "JUMP!!!".

And when i play a song that everyone knows, i take down the volume at some parts so the crowd is singing, sometimes when i do that it's just okwerd, but its no biggie.. 10 seconds and then the okwedness is gone!

So, you will have a better show if you just don care and have fun!

Cheers
    - MPB 15" & 13" - S4 - X1 - HDJ 500 & 1000. -

I have had this discussion with myself also. I cannot bear to force myself into being something/one that I am not simply to fit a stereotype. I'm not fake, im not a dick and I'm modest in my work. Those are my defining factors of my persona.

Fashion and appearance also play a role as we are portraying a way of life people want. Just as the media portrays people through advertising, it must be something aspirational but accessable.

Basically it comes down to who you would like to meet if you were speaking to another DJ. Model yourself on that and I think if you have a level head to begin with, you can do no wrong.

The be all and end all though is your music. People primarily judge you on that, but we all know that on here already.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by DeepPeeps View Post
    dj sb, when i see your links at the bottom they make the German flag,, sind sie deutsch?
    Nope haha, just random colors!

I use my real name to DJ. So the persona I have is me.

Zaniac by name Zaniac by nature

sing it with me.. *cue music*

"he's a Zaniac, Zaniac on the floor, & he's dancing like he's never danced before........"
    Last edited by Zaniac; 11-04-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Market your image but don't sell yourself, you are a lot more than your stage name.

Generally I'm an introverted freak but I don't do the booth dance for the show, I do it because I'm having fun and I love dancing in general .
    Last edited by padi_04; 11-04-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast