Starting out....ish
    Tech Wizard

Default Starting out....ish

So I'm not really starting out, as such. I've been mobile disco'ing for around a year and half, me and a mate with al his gear. Mainly for 18th's and 21st's, but using VDJ, a mixer and an audio-2.

But recently, I've wanted to give it a proper go. So I've bought myself a couple of things and wondered if its enough to get me going on a decent path. These are:

Macbook Pro 13"
    KRK RP5's
    Traktor Kontrol X1
    Audio-2
    AKG K518LE Headphones
    Traktor Duo 2

At the moment I can't afford to get myself a mixer, so been using TouchOSC on my iPhone and programmed a mixer into it:

At first I found it annoying that i couldn't just mix, but in the last couple of days it struck me that it is just like learning to play an instrument and it'll come with practise. So I'm imagining the neighbours are hating it at the moment.

But, Just wondering if thats a good enough set up to keep me going for a while and will help me progress? Or if buying a mixer asap will be beneficial?

Cheers
    - 2011 13" MBP | Akai LPD8 | KRK MP5's | iPhone 4 TouchOSC Custom Map -
    - Traktor Duo 2 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | NI Audio 2 -

This is just my personal opinion, but I could not mix with out EQ knobs and faders.

Now a lot of people here might say otherwise, but you could probably go ahead and buy a cheapie $100 2ch mixer, which would get you started really quick - just use your Audio 2 to have one channel out each input.

Again, this is just my personal opinion - others here may have an alternative.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Tech Wizard

I thought some-one would say this, and to be honest, i find it a lot easier when I can move the physical faders and knobs. But thought buying just a cheap mixer may not be the way to go. But if I just use it until I can afford a decent enough one then maybe ill give it ago.

Any other advice would be well received.

Tech Mentor

I've used an ipad with touch osc.

you have an X1 why don't you use jester's mapping for EQ pots. Or even combine the two, X1 for the EQ pots + touchosc for faders.

I've found the most annoying thing with multitouch mixing is pots. Accurate pot tweaking was difficult. However faders were easy, as long as they were slow. Fast fader movement was harder.

Yeah given your setup I recommend using your X1 for pots and iphone for faders.

i highly recommend buying a second hand cheap mixer like a xone 22, DDM4000 etc to learn with regardless.

Tech Wizard

Any idea how to set up the X1 for pots and iPhone for faders?

I can draw up my own TouchOSC easy enough. Just having difficulty with the X1

Cheers

Tech Wizard

I've imported it into Traktor and it just isn't changing form my original mapping :/

Ive restored the X1 then retried and restarted Traktor, but nothing else works :/

any idea?