Ok so I want to get into this DJ thing..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ok so I want to get into this DJ thing..

Ok so I love music, especially electronic music. If there is something in life I'm passionate about, its music. Unfortunately I don't think m creative enough to create my own music, so I decided to take up the hobby of mixing music.

I've narrowed it down to two choices. The S4 and the NS6. I like the possibilities of the S4 with the effects and what not. But how much am I really going to be using that with electronic music? As far as the NS6 goes I love the size of it and the way it looks. But I don't know if I like Itch. I've never used either Itch or Traktor but it seems that the possibilities with Traktor are much grater than Itch. I've also read about people having trouble with beat matching with the S4. I don't plan on using the sync feature.

I'm stuck between the two, and would like to know what you guys recommend to someone just starting up. Keep in mind I will be spinning mostly electronic music and not. Thanks guys..

Tech Guru

use the search button, hundreds on this shit already. other then that I wouldnt recommend any for someone starting... they are both a lot of money for something you might not like, you should check out hercules controllers or even the beginner models numark make and then if you dont like it you havent wasted a shit load... if you do you can sell it too someone and get most of your money back.

you shouldnt disregard sync before you start either.... many people use it many dont... ive played clubs for years and use it but you need to know not to rely on it incase grids arent set properly.... you should download a demo of traktor and even start messing with that using your mouse and keyboard .... just a few ideas
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

I would start off with something super cheap to see if I even like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    I would start off with something super cheap to see if I even like it.
    Indeed. Get a Numark mixtrack or hercules rmx or so !
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Seconding (or thirding?) the Hercules for a starter controller. There's a couple wonderful mappings for the hercules which will get you started, and you can usually pick one up used for $200 or less. It's what I started on and served me for 2 gigs before I really needed to expand.
    Poizen Jam Music - SoundCloud, Facebook, Myspace, Newgrounds!

I appreciate it so far and I did search but didn't find anything that answered my specific questions. As far as playing around with the demos, played around with VDJ for a long time but mixing with a computer keyboard sucks. As far as the money is concerned, I'm not worried about that..I'd raher get something that will last me without having to upgrade for a while..Is the S4 more tailored for mash ups and not straight up mixing?

It's not just the cost of the equipment. Besides if cost isn't an issue than why so worried about getting the best right away? It's often good to start with a smaller controller so you're really forced to learn the basics and maximize its potential so you can really appreciate the S4 when you get it.

You don't need the biggest and best right away and I frankly think it'd cause more confusion than good, but it's your call. It just seems that, particularly since you asked that last question, you don't really have the knowledge or experience to know what controller would be best for you. You should be able to look at the S4 and say 'Oh hey I really like the effects section and mixer lay out and those sample buttons and cues would be key for mash-ups' if that's what you'd really want.

What I'm saying is, your experience with a smaller controller will tell you what your needs are. Why don't you save your purchase of the fancy controller til you're damn sure what your style and workflow is? Know what you're buying- and don't just know the pros and cons according to some review site- know them based on your needs.

Edit: I know it's not the answer you probably want to hear, and to be honest I fell prey to the marketing hype of the S4 long before I ever really needed it and almost ended up trading in my whole setup when I realized ableton was where I wanted to be.
    Last edited by Poizen Jam; 11-05-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Poizen Jam Music - SoundCloud, Facebook, Myspace, Newgrounds!

DON'T DO IT. You will lose hours of your life and lots of cash!!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

I recommend you find demo versions of both programs and play around a bit, learn the ins and outs. Serato has their new Intro version, but I'm not too sure about Traktor. NI does have demos of Traktor, right?
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

get the s4 if u can afford it
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast