Your Perfect controller Would Have?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your Perfect controller Would Have?

Assuming that it could be built, please tell us what specific software functions your perfect controller would be designed to match. Please list them in 2 groups.

I must have:

It would be cool if it had:

Don't know if this is what you would like to see, but this is what I could come up with.
    (I also added an extra category )
    I must have:

- rotaries,
    - sufficient buttons, arcade buttons by preference
    - faders,
    - crossfader, Infinium crossfader by preference
    - MIDI In, Out, Through

- touchpad for quick XY assignment,
    - loadsa LED lights
    - Motorized jogdials/platters (Like the Stanton SCS.1d)

The likes of:
    Basically I would be happy if they came up with A BCR2000 that was combined with an M Audio x session pro and a Korg kaos pad2, because of MIDI on kp2.
    Last edited by tekki; 06-08-2008 at 05:38 AM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Must have:
    Everything that's on the VCI-100, with the jog wheel fixed

If would cool if it had:
    Have to agree with Tekki, the XY pad.
    Either motorized jog wheels or jog wheels similar to the Pioneer CDJ-1000's

I must have:
    Large mashable arcade buttons, minimum of 6 per deck max 12 per deck
    Multiple faders with chunky handles - min 8 max 24
    Multiple knobs with a button for each, minimum of LED backlit - 5 knobs/ 5 buttons for the Eq/filter section max 8 knobs / 8 buttons
    Low resistance cross fader/s - min 1 max 4
    XY pads - essential because there are certain effects you cannot perform without one - min1 max 4

I would like to have:
    Pitch Wheels/joysticks - min 1 max 4
    Motorized jogs min 1 max 2
    Touch strips - min 1 max 4
    Laser distance to midi sensors min 1 max 4
    Ports for multiple foot switches min 2 max 8

I really should draw up some dream midi device plans
    Last edited by BentoSan; 06-09-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Tech Mentor

12 rotory knobs with matching buttons (backlit)
    an additional 8-10 buttons, backlit
    3 band EQ and trim (push buttons on EQ for kills)
    compact, 100% symmetrial design
    tempo, channel volume faders and crossfader
    customizable templates

good to have
    jogwheels
    XY pad
    sandwich

Must have-
    EQ and Kills
    Jog wheels (bigger the better)
    Loadsa buttons
    4 faders
    crossfader

Cool to have (Ideal set up)-
    12 inch motorized jog wheels (Build me preaze =))
    4 band EQ per deck w/ killz
    10 band paragraphic EQ per deck with bypass opt
    Highpass / Lo pass
    4 faders
    Crossfader w/fadercurve switch
    Assload of buttons
    Assload of knobs
    Pitchwheel
    On board sound
    XY controlls
    Footpedal support
    File navigation/transport
    A kitchen sink
    Fit this all into 4ft x 2.5ft =)

A friend of mine and I started building this controller for Traktor 3 a few years ago but didn't finish, largely due to dissatisfaction with Traktor 3 itself. Shame, really.

The design makes me think that an "all things to all DJs" controller isn't easily attainable; as you can see, I don't care if I have jog wheels, and to me, anything that looks as if it's trying to act like a turntable is just taking up real estate.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

I must have:
    1. Controls for more than two sound sources - three good, four better.
      Each sound source needs to have:
      • transport, play, pause, stop, volume, pan, crossfader assign A,B or Main Mix.
      • cue points*6, cue select (without play), loop drop, loop length incr-decr.
      • note bend, note lock, 4-bar/1-bar/note jump back/forwards.
      • controls for moving a running deck to another sound source, either as duplicate or as a simple move-while-playing.
      • Monitor cue on each sound source.
    2. A shallow FX chain on each sound source (limit of three?) and another chain on the output mix. Modelled on n the Ableton Live style where filters are just one effect you can add either before or after reverb or flange. Controls for each effect: on-off-level, CCs for controls A,B,C,D, on each effect, kill switches for A,B,C,D on each effect, LFO speed, LFO sync-to-beat. Enough control to be able to Hold and shape short sounds in the reverb over the top of a running track.
    3. Global controls - cue-volume, cue-mix, master-volume, file navigation & selection. (Record Mix is a button that gets pressed once an evening, no need for that on the controller!)
    4. Above and beyond: Once these basics are provided, some of what would usually be put in the "It would be cool to have" group is not IMO negotiable. Any controller MUST have buttons and knobs that have no default assigned purpose other than to be the place where you get to put your personalised controls and patches. You can provide more of them by having a mode for the standard buttons that gives them an unassigned purpose, but switching mode should not force you into a workflow where you're switching back and forwards between "Custom Mode" and "Standard Mode" to alternate between your custom gear and normal transport operations. I'm essentially arguing that some of the "Standard Mode" controllers be unassigned.

1. Performance friendly controls that will add to the visual impact of your DJing - distance-to-MIDI CCs using lasers to wave your hands around and alter things, X-Y control pad or a ribbon controller so people can watch you making changes.
    2. Lights and colors that reflect the current "mode" in a visually powerful way i.e. not just a red "Rude LED" up in the corner - make all lights switch from white to orange when a mode is engaged.
    3. The ability to customize LED colors for each control group (TKS color "Skins"!) - something like the Monodeck II already does. Sounds like a frivolous addition, but I think this kind of interface personalization will end up being be a big selling point especially when people can share their "skins" online.
    4. A standard remapping solution, either in the DJ software or in the device software that works on ALL MIDI coming into the system, not just locked to the device itself (Akai, Roland, I'm looking at you two). I don't want tens of MIDI remappers littering my setup when one good one should be able to control everything.
    5. A midi remapper that allows me to share my setups online for free. Mmmkay?
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 06-08-2008 at 05:09 PM.

For the onboard sound thing, every year there are cheaper and better sound cards released, the last thing we need is a sound card in these devices- they will remain much more timeless without all the audio crap in there that people will eventually never use and feel sour 2 years down the track after having purchased something with a sound card they carry around but never use for its sound card properties.

Death to devices with on-board sound i say !

My two cents exactly Bento!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast