Frustration
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustration

Default Frustration (finding DJ gear locally)

So,

I live in Phoenix, AZ USA. The fifth largest metro area in the US. Yet for the life of me cannot find a single DJ store where I don't have to special order every single piece of gear I own. WTF!?! Are controllers/cases/needles that much of a niche market? Does anyone else have this problem? Am I just not looking in the right places?
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 03-12-2009 at 02:54 PM.
    DJ Neurotique

Tant qu'y a du noir, y'a d'l'espoir!
    Berurier Noir

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Honestly, it kinda is a niche market. Once you get beyond very basic, or well known gear, at least.

You'll find 15 different Pioneer CD decks, but maybe, maybe they'll have two midi controllers. And god help you if you don't buy Shure or Stanton needles/cartridges... heh

DJ shops are few and far between, everywhere.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Same problem here. There used to be a couple Dj Store once upon a time. As well as three other music stores that carried Dj Equipment. Now however we have been reduced to Just two stores that do.

Wentworth that does have needles in stock(Shure M-44). Some controllers and like equipment (Korg and Vestax)

World of Music that deals with M-Audio, Roland and Berhinger mainly.

Although both the stores stock on most gear I would be more interested in is special order as well. It took me a better part of a year to get my Trigger Finger and X-Sessions Pro
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Have you tried GC? I usually carry the usual stuff, vestax, korg, etc. The one here in Pasadena, where I go usually has everything that Im looking for.

Guitar Center Phoenix
    2750 West Peoria St.
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029

Phone: 602-375-3800
    Fax: 602-375-7739

Manager: Brett Arney

Store Hours:
    Mon-Thur: 11-9 | Fri: 10-9 | Sat: 10-8 | Sun: 11-6
    Last edited by JesC; 03-12-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

JesC, that's the store that's next to my house, lol! Anyways.. they're customer service skills leave something to be desired. As well as technical knowledge. I also go to the Sam Ash Music near my house, but experienced the same issues. I actually ended up doing some product presentations on the SCS.3 system and Traktor Pro, because the store didn't have anyone knowledgeable enough with MIDI gear and Traktor.
    DJ Neurotique

Berurier Noir

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotique View Post
    I actually ended up doing some product presentations on the SCS.3 system and Traktor Pro.
    Thats pretty cool. Did you do that for Stanton , NI or for the store itself?

It's the same everywhere. In UK stores talk a good game but when you get there they have nothing in stock or on demo.

I went to the famous HTFR and they had nothing I wanted in. Hell I'd have bought just about anything had it been in stock.

Stanton had a distribution rep there, and ended doing part of the presentation! It was really cool, and I'd love to do more stuff like that. Just not sure who I need to talk to to get the ball rolling.
    DJ Neurotique

Berurier Noir

I must say decks.co.uk in London is pretty decent when you go into the store, they have almost everything...

Bit of a mission for you all though eh
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah ive had plenty of stuff from decks via the internet shop.
    Must say thet do have stuff in stock if you buy online unlike HTFR.

Tech Mentor

My mate bought his entire set from decks.co.uk about 3 months ago. Took them 6 weeks to deliver his stand though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast