Using a midi/usb keyboard with NI Maschine??

Question Using a midi/usb keyboard with NI Maschine??

OK so, I have recently purchased The NI Maschine and I love it, such a powerful piece of equipment, the pads are great and I can use the Maschine in a keyboard mode to create some nice leads and synths etc but it is far from the ideal method. I have use Massive/FM8 and Absynth as plugins, also great. I am wanting to use a midi/usb keyboard to help generate these sounds etc, to able to play chords and so on.

Is it literally as simple as plug and play? I mean, once I've plugged in the keyboard through USB, what settings would i have to change? Once these changes have been done will i then be able to use the keyboard within the VST plugins.

Keyboard not yet purchased, any recommendations, ideally 25-50 key size = ]

I hope this makes sense, i would really appreciate and help on this, perhaps a step by step set up guide for using a midi/usb keyboard = ]

thanks in advance people = ]

Tech Wizard

in Ableton it was simple when i added an APC40 to my MPK49. i just went to the midi preferences and selected the 2nd device as an input.

I would imagine any DAW would be similar, but I've really only used Ableton.

as far as keyboards go. i like my Akai MPK49 better than my old Axiom49. I recently discovered the Novation Impulse line and I'd like to play with one of those.

I really woudl recommend going to guitarcenter or wherever and actually pressing on the keys to see how they feel. Even as a novice producer some keybaords just felt better than others.

I really woudl recommend going to guitarcenter or wherever and actually pressing on the keys to see how they feel. Even as a novice producer some keybaords just felt better than others.
    Motion seconded. It's really one thing you want to see/try.

I'm a fan of Novation keyboard, I have a Remote 37SL since years and never failed on me.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Student

Grats on your purchase maschine is the sheeit.

So you just hook up your midi keyboard into the maschine controller "in" and it will control whatever sound you have selected. plug and play.

Cheers

firstly, a big thank you to all of you that offered help and advice, it definitely made my purchase easier and made me feel more comfortable.

i bought the Alesis Q25 and its AWESOME, it literally was plug and play and all i had to do was turn on the midi device in audio and midi preferences and that was it. The mod and pitch wheels are great, no assignable knobs but for me that isn't a big factor and it feels nice too, not only that but its small, light and very portable. I never realized how powerful this software is until now, especially with the use of vst plugins etc, the sky is the limit.

So yeah, i think i now have a pretty good setup
    Macbook Pro 13" 500gb HDD, 4gd RAM
    NI Traktor S4 (incredible piece of kit)
    NI Maschine
    Alesis Q25 Keyboard
    vst plugins, I'm using
    Massive
    FM8
    Absynth 5

the setup can only grow over time = ]

thanks again everybody

DJ Lucky-Se7ens

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Lucky-Se7ens View Post
    the setup will grow over time = ]
    Fixed

Whatever you do and how you do it, enjoy!
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

This thread is pumping me up for my Mikro purchase in a few weeks. I just bought an LPK25 keyboard from the forum. Going to buy the Mikro and also Presonus Audiobox soundcard which comes with Studio One DAW software! It's only the Artist version but that's ok because this whole setup will be my entry into production!

gd man, get pumped, its a crazy world out there, thats for sure and maschine is a sure way to help you get through it. good luck with your purchases man, if you need anything, just let me know.