S2 vs. DX vs. VCI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default S2 vs. DX vs. VCI

So my Christmas bonus from my life sucking day job is right around the corner. Now I just need to decide how to spend this.

The Kontrol S2, XoneX, and VCI-100 SE(DJTT version) are all right around the $500-$600 mark. Which would you pick? Or have I completely overlooked another controller.

Background

Im looking to get a controller to beef up my setup and Ive been searching through the forums and all over the other dj blogs but want some input from people that may have one of these controllers.

Ive been dj'ing for about a year and a half at some college parties. Current set up: TSP2, Numark TTX-USB, Numark M4 mixer, midifighter, kontrol x1. I also have a Stanton scs3d but dont really use it because I miss the buttons and would rather a jog wheel than a touch surface.

I like the S2 because... it has seamless integration with Traktor
    I like the DX because... 4 channels and solid build
    I like the VCI because... it has withstood the test of time

If you don't mix with 4 decks, the S2. Love my S4.

1) ask yourself which software you prefer? DX is really optimized for Itch (even though it can be mapped to Trak)

2) 2 or 4 deck mixing? A lot of people buy 4 deck controllers only to realize they really use 2 decks most of the time.

3) Do you need big touch sensitive jogs?! Important factor to remember for the DX.

4) Portability an issue? DX probably the largest of the bunch.

5) Less important questions: Do you need internal soundcard? Do you need all of Traktor's fx?

Boom done! Gluck man!

For no other reason than the seamless integration and total control, the S2 would get my vote. I love my S4. The only negative I see with the S2 is that it isn't an S4. It's sort of trivial, but it is what it is. You may be able to find a secondhand S4 for about $700, which would be a LITTLE over-budget, but worth it if you have the spare cash.

And for what its worth, the DJTT review of the S2 is a great pro-con lineup. The lack of dedicated filter, FX setup, and no inputs would be some of the bigger faults. But the fact that you've got some other toys to work with, the shortcomings of the S2 would be somewhat of a moot point.

Tech Wizard

i would like to stay with traktor because its all ive ever used and have gotten used to the layout and features. as far as 2/4 deck control i can only effectively use 2(someday hopefully 4). and i would like to have the touch sensitive jog wheels so i can still play when my turntables are at home.

ive always been leaning towards the s2 but just wanted a second opinion. it would be amazing to have an s4 but idk if im at that point yet.

how portable is the s4 because ive heard its a beast to carry around with you.

how portabel is the s2?

do i really need an s4 because i already have an x1 and midifighter for the sample decks and fx units?

is it wise for a newbie to splurge on an s4 or should i stick with the s2 and wait for the kontrol s6 to come out?

Well, there probably won't be an S6 (since the S2 is 2-deck and S4 is 4-deck...the S6 would be 6-deck?!), but there are some other power controllers coming out.

To answer your first question, the S4 is more than just a 4-deck controller, and the same can be said about the S2 being more than a 2-deck controller. They are beasts of controllers that are hyper integrated into Traktor software. They allow complete and total control of everything within the software. The S4 does this better than the S2 simply because of the availability of buttons/knobs/faders/etc.

Both the S2 and S4 are as portable as you make them. I'm actually fixing to buy the DJTT S4 bag so I can carry my S4, laptop, cables, and extra "stuff" wherever I go. There are other carry options available for both the S2/4 and other controllers, so don't let that deter you TOO much!

If you are well integrated in your setup, you could probably do without the S4 simply because you're used to using the X1/MF for other controls. That being said, I know some people say that an S4 + MF + X1 is controllerism bliss. There are things you can do with the extra controllers that you can't do with either the S2 or the S4 alone.

And it depends on what you mean by splurge. Again, if you find a used one or a good deal on a new one, the S4 will probably be the last major controller you'll ever need. It's SO powerful and integrated, it's crazy. But I'm probably going to hunt down a MF for 8-cue point control + FX nutso time.

Now two things I want to conclude with...

First! I'm not trying to sell you on the S2/S4. In fact, I hope that despite what I put forth, you still go and do some extra research (be it reading articles or tactile fun). It sucks when you roll with another person's opinion and hate it later, haha.

Second - the S-series controllers are widely regarded for a good reason. There are other amazing options out there, but given how powerful Traktor is and how well integrated BOTH the S2 and the S4 are with the software, you can't go wrong [if you're a devout Traktor user like myself].

I had a little discussion with someone about the S2/4 when he was looking into them. He had the money for the S4, but didn't want to deal with the "extra size" and was saying he wouldn't "use all the features". This is fair, but the size of the 2 and 4 are very similar (similar enough where I can't imagine it would break the bank on setup), and the extra features of the 4 are powerful enough to merit the extra cash. On top of that, the S2 is priced somewhat higher than I think it should be given the features it IS lacking.

I sound like a damned salesman, and I apologize. But if you're a Traktor dude, you probably should watch the S2/S4 and work with those. No setup required, full software integration, powerful and quality build...All of these things work in your favor man.

Tech Wizard

there is currently an s4 on craigslist by me for 750 lol we shall see how it plays out

thanks for the help guys, and if anyone else has opinions keep em comin

I'd go for the S2.

I had the S4 and loved it except for its size which was an issue, as I travel a lot internationally.

I had to long haul flights, and I actually had to wrap up my S4 in a blanket and large pillow case and then put it in my main luggage to bring it with me!

After that I reconsidered, and bought the Twitch for portability and cos it looked good. Now after a few months of playing with the Twitch I'm considering selling it and getting the S2.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by nicoga3000 View Post
    The lack of dedicated filter, FX setup, and no inputs would be some of the bigger faults.
    A small correction. There is an option in the Traktor settings to switch the S2 gain knobs to filter knobs. Rotate to activate the filter, push down to deactivate - perfect for the job IMO. You can still use them as gain by pressing shift first, but I find that if you use auto-gain, the gain knobs become less and less useful.

Quote Originally Posted by bit View Post
    A small correction. There is an option in the Traktor settings to switch the S2 gain knobs to filter knobs. Rotate to activate the filter, push down to deactivate - perfect for the job IMO. You can still use them as gain by pressing shift first, but I find that if you use auto-gain, the gain knobs become less and less useful.
    I forgot about that option - good call!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast