Some 'sound' advice please

Default Some 'sound' advice please

For my own 'smaller' gigs, I run Wharfedale Titans on stands directly from my S4, using the S4 soundcard (ASIO drivers) patched with a 15m TRS cable. Fot optimal sound:
    - should I have the speakers set at max & modulate the S4's software and hardware volume outputs?
    - should I set the bass/treble on the speakers at neutral/flat and use the S4 to tweak these?
    - should PA speakers ideally be 'toe'd in' in a NON close-field environment

I do a full sound check, but are my ears delivering the 'best' possible set-up?
    Thank you.
    356 reasons why

what's the throw for those speakers? our wharfedales have a throw of 70m. dont forget to add 1ms latency per metre of speaker cable!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    what's the throw for those speakers? our wharfedales have a throw of 70m. dont forget to add 1ms latency per metre of speaker cable!
    Whoa Cowboy - I'm out of my depth here -
    (yes, I DID RTFM)....

- throw?
    - physically reset latency to accomodate?

Thanks Jes.
    356 reasons why

throw is like the "sweet spot". basically the gruntier/bigger the speakers are the longer the throw will be. this affects how far apart the speakers should be etc. with our wharfies (and yours) unless its in a large hall or something it doesnt really matter where you put them. even stacked is fine, or pointed inwards 30 degrees or whatever. you know when you go to a concert and you shuffle around till you find the best spot for sound, thats what i mean
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I would set your speakers fairly neutral, assuming they have a high.low pass filter i would adjust a bit to cut some lows out (maybe 60hz) and dont crank the volume right up because you will blow those suckers if you accidentally crank the main on your mixer! even at bigger parties we have ours set to maybe 40% power max.

this you?

Last edited by Jester; 11-09-2011 at 04:30 AM.

That's them Jes - love them puppies. Thanks for your input. I played two gigs recently where the sound seemed to lack 'something', but that's pretty much how I've been setting up. Apropos the latency issue, should you tweak your latency settings to compensate for cable length?
    Lastly, would I 'add' anything with using a small mixer with this set-up?
    356 reasons why

mate, I would set Traktor up so that it is pushing just below the red when you have 2 or more tracks playing. Then you know that you not gonna clip while playing.

Then use the speakers volume to set how loud you want it to play.....basically use the Titans like they would be your amp at home.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I don't think a little external DJ mixer or audio mixer would do anything to the sound that comes out of the Titans.

If you plug the S4 into the Titans, they should control it all.

If you had a split system (Subs ....mid and horns etc) then I would use a mixer.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Thanks guys - appreciate such sane, experienced advice.
    356 reasons why