How Did You Learn DJing?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How Did You Learn DJing?

I'm sure this has been discussed a few times, BUT I've just done an article on DJing for beginners and I wanted to see how accurate I've been because I honestly think that no one takes expensive one one one DJ classes or tutorials, or schools or whatever...

I haven't met anyone who's learnt at some DJ school yet.

Did most of you learn with a book at home and youtube?

Or any of you learn with your DJ friends?

Online courses?

Or did anyone really take those lessons that cost a fortune?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed a few times, BUT I've just done an article on DJing for beginners and I wanted to see how accurate I've been because I honestly think that no one takes expensive one one one DJ classes or tutorials, or schools or whatever...

Online courses?

I just started in this whole DJing business, but for me, it started with my friend, who is a DJ, letting me watch him mix life while he explained everything that was going on. I asked him about equipment and he sent me on the right track and now we just talk about mixing whenever we're around one another.

I have been watching some videos / reading various threads here on the forums, though.

Tech Convert

I'm still a n00b and probably will be for a long time. I'm still trying to learn and practice as much as possible. I had a DJ friend who let me come over and watch him mix and eventually he let me play on his gear. From there I took off. I bought easily 6 or 7 books and started reading. Probably the best one I bought and learned the most from was Djing for Dummies. I know, probably very n00bish but it really answered some simple questions I had. After that I bought an S4 and started watching youtube videos and bought the Traktor bible (second edition).

Basically, online videos, forums/blogs, and books. That's how I've learned everything I do so far. I have not been shown things by someone a lot better then me. Yet..... =).
    Traktor S4
    M-Audio AV40
    Audio Technica-M50

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post

Online courses?

A friends sister was dating a famous club DJ, Cameron Paul, in S.F. We use to go hangout at the DJ booth. I would always bug him with questions and stuff about DJ'ing. Guess he finally got fed up and asked me if I wanted to learn. I went to house after school, I was in H.S. at the time, 3X a week for a couple of months and he taught me the basics. Beat matching, counting bars, drops and breaks of songs where to blend in the other song etc. This was in the late 80's so it was straight turntables (1200's) and a Urei mixer. Then I learned to flanger, double beats, simple scratches etc. After getting my on TT's and Numark DM1800 mixer, I practiced for a few more months. Got a record collection and started mobile DJ'ing with a few friends that contributed lights and speakers.

After a year of mobile DJ'ing, I was in college then, I got a residency at a club called Wolflgangs doing Thurs. and Fri. night. The club burned downed 6 months later. A few months after that I went in the Navy and quit DJ'ing.

Went back into DJ'ing again after the military until I moved to Dallas. Quit again. Got back into it 2 yrs ago and DJ'ing at clubs once more. I think I am the oldest club DJ in these parts. I'm 43.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BoumFoum View Post
    I just started in this whole DJing business, but for me, it started with my friend, who is a DJ, letting me watch him mix life while he explained everything that was going on. I asked him about equipment and he sent me on the right track and now we just talk about mixing whenever we're around one another.

I have been watching some videos / reading various threads here on the forums, though.
    That's the best way to learn.

Free and from experienced DJs. Ain't no thaang better, unless you start to take his gigs away

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    A friends sister was dating a famous club DJ, Cameron Paul, in S.F. We use to go hangout at the DJ booth. I would always bug him with questions and stuff about DJ'ing. Guess he finally got fed up and asked me if I wanted to learn. I went to house after school, I was in H.S. at the time, 3X a week for a couple of months and he taught me the basics. Beat matching, counting bars, drops and breaks of songs where to blend in the other song etc. This was in the late 80's so it was straight turntables (1200's) and a Urei mixer. Then I learned to flanger, double beats, simple scratches etc. After getting my on TT's and Numark DM1800 mixer, I practiced for a few more months. Got a record collection and started mobile DJ'ing with a few friends that contributed lights and speakers.

After a year of mobile DJ'ing, I was in college then, I got a residency at a club called Wolflgangs doing Thurs. and Fri. night. The club burned downed 6 months later. A few months after that I went in the Navy and quit DJ'ing.

Went back into DJ'ing again after the military until I moved to Dallas. Quit again. Got back into it 2 yrs ago and DJ'ing at clubs once more. I think I am the oldest club DJ in these parts. I'm 43.
    Sounds like a fun ride you had back then fella.

Of course, your friend helped you a lot. Youtube was a place in Greenland back then

there was no youtube when i started.. i lived in a small town with no other djs around..i went to a local music store that sold guitars etc and ordered a pair of tech 1200s.. went to a pawn shop and got some crappy radio shack mixer , and thru trial and error i learned to match beats , and started to try to scratch. with no one to guide me it took over a year to learn to match beats. yah major stick-to-it-iveness and determination were my only aides.

now ive been doing some teaching(kids)and am looking at possibly giving a course at a local arts center.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

i got my first tt's in 98 - didn't own a computer or really know how to use the internet much back then - i just decided i was going to go out and buy 2 tables and a mixer and have fun. bunch of records and a skratch picklz movie (VHS!) and just started from there. i suck at scratching but i've always had a lot of fun djing so i didn't quit. now i dj house, electro, nu-disco and never really scratch anyway.

I had a couple older friends who are club DJs. Started hanging around them mixing at after parties at their houses. Secretly bought CDJs and a mixer, and practiced all the time. After a few months I asked them to let me try mixing their stuff....surprise for them when for the most part I knew what I was doing. It's been 3 years now, learned a lot from them; phrase matching, mixing in key, etc.

Tech Wizard

I lucked into a set of 1200's and a crappy gemini two channel mixer. Only had a few house records, but finally after what seemed like months, got Josh Wink's "Are You There" to sync up some Sunday Club tune, I drooled. For the most part I was buying downtempo and ambient, and just enjoying putting things together, low key baby scratches. Then had to sell the gear to pay the bills during a tough time and never really wanted to the bulk of it in my life again. Digital has given djing as a hobby back, and I like it more than ever.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast