trying to record video/audio with quicktime and S4. can anyone help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default trying to record video/audio with quicktime and S4. can anyone help

I'm trying to record some promo videos for some promoters and club owners of quick 15 minute mixes. I have an external webcam that Ive mounted above me but I cant get the audio to come from my s4. I tried selecting the S4 as my input/output on my system preference settings but both say "S4 has no input/output settings. Inside of quicktime I try to do the same thing but it doesnt work.

has anyone ever done this or know how to do it whether with quicktime or something else.

thanks

Tech Wizard

not positive this will work, but give it a shot

go to spotlight (magnifying glass top right of top bar), type "audio" then click audio midi setup
    click window-> show audio window

click on traktor s4 or whatever says s4, then click "configure speakers" make sure its set to stereo, and that left is 1, right is 2.

OR

try making an aggregate device with all your sound devices in it
    The Gear: MBP15", Dre Pros, TK S4, MPK32, Ableton Live, Logic 9, and other stuff
    Check the site: http://willisdaellenbach.com, Check the cloud: http://soundcloud.com/wdaellenbach

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    not positive this will work, but give it a shot

go to spotlight (magnifying glass top right of top bar), type "audio" then click audio midi setup
    click window-> show audio window

click on traktor s4 or whatever says s4, then click "configure speakers" make sure its set to stereo, and that left is 1, right is 2.

OR

try making an aggregate device with all your sound devices in it
    thanks. I clicked on audio midi setup and I get the audio midi setup in my tool bar but nothing opens. It says its opened but I cant find anywhere to go from it. I cant find a 'window' besides in my finder but it doesnt give me the 'show audio window' option.

and sorry but I dont know what making a n aggregare device means lol. sorry Im new at recording video/audio.

thanks again for the help

Tech Wizard

im not sure if were running same osx, but still, there should be somewhere in your menu options to open the audio window, search around until you can get a window open....

aggregate device is in the audio setup window.

i think this will fix it, so take a look around and see if you can get that window open
    The Gear: MBP15", Dre Pros, TK S4, MPK32, Ableton Live, Logic 9, and other stuff
    Check the site: http://willisdaellenbach.com, Check the cloud: http://soundcloud.com/wdaellenbach

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    im not sure if were running same osx, but still, there should be somewhere in your menu options to open the audio window, search around until you can get a window open....

aggregate device is in the audio setup window.

i think this will fix it, so take a look around and see if you can get that window open
    ok cool thanks a bunch I will keep looking. And Im running 10.6.8 if that helps at all.

Tech Mentor

ok so I did that and it didnt work. Im still in the audio devices and it gives me 'built in microphone, built in input, built in output, traktor s4. and when I click on the preferences on the quicktime it gives me the same options.

I tried right clicking and putting 'use this device as input' and 'use this device as output' but still no go.

Does anyone have any ideas? is there anything I 'd have to configure in Traktor itself?

thanks again

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You need to run a line form the RCA's on the S4 to the line in on your computer then choose line in in Quicktime.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    You need to run a line form the RCA's on the S4 to the line in on your computer then choose line in in Quicktime.
    you mean run RCA's to a single 1/8th inch in my computer? If I did that then will I only be able to hear whats coming out through my headphones. Because currently I have my Master outs (which are 1/4 but I have RCAs too) into my Mackie MR8 moniters. DO i Need to run those 1/4 or RCA outs into an 1/8th?

I might be confusing myself lol.

thanks for the help

I don't have an s4 but normally you would do this from the booth out or record out, if you are lucky enough to have that.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    you mean run RCA's to a single 1/8th inch in my computer?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    If I did that then will I only be able to hear whats coming out through my headphones. Because currently I have my Master outs (which are 1/4 but I have RCAs too) into my Mackie MR8 moniters. DO i Need to run those 1/4 or RCA outs into an 1/8th?

I might be confusing myself lol.

thanks for the help
    Either, but RCA to 1/8 is an easier cable to go out and get if you don't already have one. If you do the 1/4 route you need to run both to the 1/8 in on the computer to be in stereo.

The S4 is weird in how it routes the audio internally, I know this is the way you have to do it with ustream.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast