Genres
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genres

Tech Wizard

Default Genres

Hey.
    I start this thread so that I can learn the differences between different genres of dance music. Maybe that sounds weird, but to be honest I just dont see any differences when checking out new songs on Beatport. Some of them are labeled "Progressive House" or "Minimal" and they sound pretty similiar (I dont say they sound the same).
    Maybe some of you could make an outline whats the difference between each genre.

Not to cut the forum short but there is always:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_music

But I'm sure its better to get some of DJTT to explain too.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Oh lord, genres? heh

I just call it all Electronic.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Init !!!

Check out Techno and Minmal .... Whats goin on there!!! Both contain more or less the same style does my head in !!!

There are really too many subgenres around.
    I allways try to ignore most of them, because I only need one crate filled with HipHop, one crate with ElektronicBeats, and so on.
    I also don't search for any special genre when I'm shopping at Juno, Beatport, and so on. I allways buy and later play what I like. Most times the tracks are labled with the wrong genre anyways. And very often they don't even have the correct genre available.
    E.g. I don't see Baltimore Club or Nu Rave on Beatport, but you can find tracks that fit into these categories somewhere else on Beatport.

My advice is to find your own style of what music you play, and don't care to much about what any magazin, journalist or any other dude calls it.

Check:
    Wiley - Wut U Call It
    I think he was totally right
    http://facebook.com/like.GRIZU
    Setup: MacBook 2.2 GHz 3 GB RAM OSX 10.6.4, Torq Conectiv Vinyl 1.5.3, 2x Technics MKII, Ecler HAK 320, PMC-05 Pro 4 Blk, PMC-06 Pro B, 2x Shure M44-7, VCI-300 & VFX-1 + ITCH, NI Maschine, Korg nano Pad & Kontrol, Audio8DJ & TS Pro, Novation Dicer

Quote Originally Posted by 75er View Post
    There are really too many subgenres around.
    I allways try to ignore most of them, because I only need one crate filled with HipHop, one crate with ElektronicBeats, and so on.
    I also don't search for any special genre when I'm shopping at Juno, Beatport, and so on. I allways buy and later play what I like. Most times the tracks are labled with the wrong genre anyways. And very often they don't even have the correct genre available.
    E.g. I don't see Baltimore Club or Nu Rave on Beatport, but you can find tracks that fit into these categories somewhere else on Beatport.

My advice is to find your own style of what music you play, and don't care to much about what any magazin, journalist or any other dude calls it.

Check:
    Wiley - Wut U Call It
    I think he was totally right
    How do you shop then seen as both Juno and Betport are split into genres ?

Do you go through every genre ?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    Init !!!

Check out Techno and Minmal .... Whats goin on there!!! Both contain more or less the same style does my head in !!!
    Errrrr...

Endlessly debating genres is what music geeks do, right? And that's what we do well. It is human nature, of course to name things we see (and hear).

Anyway I reckon Minimal is a sub-genre that falls broadly in the realm of Techno. But I'm sure there are people that would think I'm wrong. Of course, I prefer Tech-house because admitting to liking Minimal is like admitting to liking the sound of your heating system turn itself on and off.

Anyway, cross-genre pollonisation buzzword of the month:

Dubstepno (Dubstep and Techno)!
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Of course, I prefer Tech-house because admitting to liking Minimal is like admitting to liking the sound of your heating system turn itself on and off.
    See, but what is in your opinion the differnce between Tech House and Minimal. I think Tech House is also minimalstic, maybe a little bit more jazzy or Lounge-like. And maybe some more vocals, but not necessary?

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverhex View Post
    Not to cut the forum short but there is always:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_music

But I'm sure its better to get some of DJTT to explain too.
    Any definition of house music that doesn't mention Derrick Carter is clearly incomplete.

It's all just electronic music to me. No matter if it's called this or that by some people who have nothing to do than create stupid new genrenames.

Of course I also don't have any hidden genres in the shops, but most times I know names of the artists and songtitles. That often takes me to similar tracks, and so on. Same as visiting a blog and then try out some of the links.
    When I was looking for Baltimore Club, I didn't find it on Beatport, then on Beatsource they had a few tracks I knew in Club HipHop.

For me it wouldn't make sense to search for special subgenrenames, because then I'd sleep on to many dopw tracks. I prefer spend some time and listen to as much music as I can to find new tunes.
    http://facebook.com/like.GRIZU
    Setup: MacBook 2.2 GHz 3 GB RAM OSX 10.6.4, Torq Conectiv Vinyl 1.5.3, 2x Technics MKII, Ecler HAK 320, PMC-05 Pro 4 Blk, PMC-06 Pro B, 2x Shure M44-7, VCI-300 & VFX-1 + ITCH, NI Maschine, Korg nano Pad & Kontrol, Audio8DJ & TS Pro, Novation Dicer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast