Monitor/Speaker question

Default Monitor/Speaker question

I 've been looking to upgrade my sound system. I currently have a pretty cheap 2.1 system from Hercules.

I browsed the interwebs for quite a while and it seems like the krk rp series is the weapon of choice for most DJs.

But I 'm not sure that buying 2 krk rp6 g2's is the best thing to do, since these are monitors and will attempt to give the most accurate representation of your audio. I would assume there is a lack of bass, and it's safe to assume that every DJ plays electronic music, so this seems very strange to me.

And when you DJ somewhere else at some gig the massive sound system will boost your bass, and your set will sound and feel very different then at home.

Am I wrong or are these legit concerns ? Is it stupid to use production gear for DJing ?
    Thanks

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    I 've been looking to upgrade my sound system. I currently have a pretty cheap 2.1 system from Hercules.

I browsed the interwebs for quite a while and it seems like the krk rp series is the weapon of choice for most DJs.

But I 'm not sure that buying 2 krk rp6 g2's is the best thing to do, since these are monitors and will attempt to give the most accurate representation of your audio. I would assume there is a lack of bass, and it's safe to assume that every DJ plays electronic music, so this seems very strange to me.

And when you DJ somewhere else at some gig the massive sound system will boost your bass, and your set will sound and feel very different then at home.

Am I wrong or are these legit concerns ? Is it stupid to use production gear for DJing ?
    Thanks
    I'm not entirely clear how accurate reproduction of the audio you're playing is a bad thing.

My Rockits lack bass when compared to the 400W RMS 15" Subs I have, for sure. Mind you, the PA speakers are for FOH, pushing lots of air. The Rockits are for _monitoring_ with. Different purposes, right?

The thing is, you don't actually want tonnes of bass in the booth. It makes mixing harder when the bass is pushed (If I want to push a sound for mixing, it's the snares, not the kicks/bass).

This is one of the reasons there's lots of advice given about "while you're playing, get out from behind the booth so you can hear how things sound for the crowd".

*shrugs* I'm not sure I'm being particularly helpful. I love my Rockits, certainly in terms of bang-for-buck monitoring
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

6's do not lack bass, but they are critical. There's more to a sound platform than bass.
    356 reasons why

Tech Mentor

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago, i decided to buy the rp6 g2 and they do not lack bass, when im mixing at home i sometimes have to turn the bass down on the mixer, excellent monitors and just hyped because they are krks, remember there is a reason why all these djs recommend and speak so highly of krks. I didnt no whether monitors were what i wanted because i had never heard them and everyone said they sound "flat" so i went into a local speaker store and got em to hook one up and bought them straight away

and yes i no there are lots of other great monitors available

there has always been a debate as to what speakers dj's should use. if you need them solely as monitoring for your dj set up, you might be better off just getting some active pa speakers instead of studio monitors. studio monitors are used more for music production when the accurate reproduction of audio is needed in the mixing process where as you might only need speakers for sheer loudness and listening to music. Not to say you are gettin an inaccurate representation, but with the right active pa speaker set up you'll have plenty of db's and bass to go with it where the studio monitors arent necessarily arent really meant to be pushed to loud (although in some cases this might be different)

Tech Mentor

Absolutely love my KRK rp6's....especially considering i got the pair for $150 on craigslist in great condition (the white ones btw). I would have gladly paid $300 for them new though after using em for a bit.
    As for the bass on them, i think they can really hold their own....But it depends what you are using them for... Im more of a bedroom dj and the bass is more than anything i will ever need. I actually have the bass turned down a substantial amount on the monitors them selves. It really comes down to where/what you plan on using that at/for.
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

I would not use low-end KRKs for production work*), but for DJ:ing they are quite OK, especially for the price.

*) I prefer referenced monitors that go down to 35-40Hz to hear rumbles and other low-end stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    I would not use low-end KRKs for production work*), but for DJ:ing they are quite OK, especially for the price.

*) I prefer referenced monitors that go down to 35-40Hz to hear rumbles and other low-end stuff.

So even on low end krk's I won't be able to hear my sub bass very well ?

Tech Mentor

Basically if you want deep sub bass your gonna have to get a sub to go with the monitors. If not get some pa speakers. But the krks are great for djing and have enough bass imo