Can you tell me all about Serato Control Vinyl?
    Tech Mentor

Default Can you tell me all about Serato Control Vinyl?

So I bought two red control vinyls from GC but I'm concerned if I bought the right ones. I plan to use them on VDJ with my VMS4 on Stanton TTs. I know that your supposed to use Serato Control Vinyl but the ones I bought are http://www.agiprodj.com/serato-scrat...rol-vinyl.html. They just say Scratch Live on the front and Rane in the corner but not Serato like in the picture. So did I get the right ones?

Also I don't know very much about control vinyl except that I'm going to use them in relative mode. Is there someone who can tell me all about it? I heard that some control vinyl has like 15 minutes on a side or something about that? What's that mean? Does that even matter to the ones I got?

I'm pretty sure at one point they switched the stickers on the vinyl, but didn't change anything else. So you should be fine with what you bought.

The time thing, 15 minutes, means it has 15 minutes of playback on each side before you need to move the needle back. So for relative, it means you only would need to move the needle once every 15 minutes or so as long as you are mixing. I'm not sure if I'm making sense here, but that's how it works.

Some records have shorter times (for whatever reason) so the longer, the better IMO.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Ah okay. So the only way to tell how long you have left is the needle? Also why are there two sides, like one side on the ones I bought have 15 minutes on side A and I think 10 minutes on side B. Why would I ever need to flip over the vinyl and use the other side?

And yeah, I got the right ones. It says serato on the back a few times. I guess they just took it off the front.

some ppl like the longer control tone since it lets you play it for a longer period of time without bringing the needle back to the start.

also side A i believe has vinyl scroll, Aide b doesnt. This option i believe is in the absolute option and it lets you scrolll through your songs by just moving the vinyl back and forth.
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by farhanashraf View Post
    some ppl like the longer control tone since it lets you play it for a longer period of time without bringing the needle back to the start.

also side A i believe has vinyl scroll, Aide b doesnt. This option i believe is in the absolute option and it lets you scrolll through your songs by just moving the vinyl back and forth.
    Ah okay, thanks for the post farhan. Maybe you can help me on my other thread because I'm having trouble using it http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40399

i'll try my best
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

right now serato is on "CV02" which is the 2nd version of the TC.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

side A on the CV02 style vinyl is 10 minutes (@33) plus the vinyl scroll section.

Side B is 15 minutes. I'd just use side B unless you're intending on using vinyl scroll (which I don't have any experience with tbh) side B is divided into 3 sections of 5 minutes each (look at the vinyl surface) which helps if you're using absolute mode.

don't worry about running out of time in relative mode however, Serato automatically switches to internal mode if you forget and overrun your time, simply placing the stylus back on the control vinyl will switch it back to relative.

EDIT: just realised you're intending on using VDJ, not sure how this will handle overrunnign on time, maybe it has a similar feature?