I am not moving forward with skills
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default I am not moving forward with skills

I don't call myself a DJ because I am not.

I am just a hobbiest, but i wana play at the party every now and then.

I have been fooling around for a year now and have been listening to music for 4 years.

question is does online course like dj master course worthy to get it?

Because even if it's a hobby, i want to move forward, not getting stuck you know.

Thanks and plz recommend GOOD online course that is relatively cheap ?

A lot of the paid courses provide info that you can easily find for free, especially here on DJTT and Youtube. I'd suggest reading up on the articles and forums here, and watching all the youtube you can handle, and really just lock yourself in your room with your equipment.

It might just be my learning style, but I've found that self discovery has been the best way for me to learn, because while you're in the process of developing your skills as a DJ you're also building your style; instead of trying to emulate somebody else's. From what I can tell, there is not rock-solid, concise way to DJ; apart from employing certain techniques for matching beats and key, and making it sound good.

Nobody is going to tell you that you have to scratch a new track in, or that dropping it using a button is the wrong way to go. You have to figure out what works best for you, and concentrate on staying motivated, inspired, and challenging yourself.

what exactly are you struggling with?

beatmatching, programming, transitions?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 3IJ View Post
    what exactly are you struggling with?

beatmatching, programming, transitions?
    everyone learns differently. i dont think an only course would help me anymore than watching random youtube videos. it really comes down to practice and motivation for me.

but what exactly are you having problems with?

Tech Wizard

see, i don't even know what my issues are.

I feel like i am just fooling myself.

I know how to beat match kinda...and i listen to live of djs and analysis how they put songs together in terms of beat and keys and learn from there.

i use vdj+bcd300+mixed in key for now

just fooling

i am more focused on finding new music and learn to mix it well and what goes together

sometimes after i record myself, i realize what i did good or bad

i guess i just have to keep doing it?

b/c someone told me that either you have dj friend or take online course or something like that to get to the certain point then develop your style.

suggestion?

do you go out to clubs or dj events? these are great places to get ideas for mixes and to practice them or just to figure out how they are done. Also a great way to get new music.

You can watch driving course, driving shows, read about driving, but until you GO OUT there and drive, all you will have is book knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by jkim89 View Post

i use vdj+bcd300+mixed in key for now

suggestion?
    My first suggestion is uninstall mixed in key, throw away your camelot wheel print out, and forget about choosing songs based on their ID3 key label for a long long time and you might not ever feel the need to again. I don't know many professionals who really focus on mixing like that and they make some great mixes, I think it is more of a detriment than a positive for most people.

Just focus on what sounds good and keep practicing. Don't bother with effects much either.

If you can afford a course in person it might be good but there are only a few and they are only in major cities. I don't see how an online course would help that much more than what you can find online from videos.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    My first suggestion is uninstall mixed in key, throw away your camelot wheel print out, and forget about choosing songs based on their ID3 key label for a long long time and you might not ever feel the need to again. I don't know many professionals who really focus on mixing like that and they make some great mixes, I think it is more of a detriment than a positive for most people.
    Really? Mixed in key is damn useful, and harmonic mixing makes your mix sound much better. Unless your just doing cuts throughout your entire mix.

That said, doesn't VDJ already do key analysis for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Arbite View Post
    Really? Mixed in key is damn useful, and harmonic mixing makes your mix sound much better. Unless your just doing cuts throughout your entire mix.
    There is something to be said for using your ears and playing what sounds right for the moment, especially as a beginner. If he thinks he is not progressing and his mixes aren't up to par, I doubt mixed in key is helping him. There is no need to over complicate things early on.

As a beginner if you are looking at a key tag field and a camelot wheel then you are training your eyes and not your ears.

Tech Convert

Try picking out the songs you want to play in a set and listen to them all. Then make notes of at what time you want to mix in a different song into another that way the transitions are smooth. Also, practice making a mix at least once a day, practice makes perfect! I'd still use Mixed in Key however since, it makes mixing easier.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast