Gig Last Night
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gig Last Night

Tech Wizard

Default Gig Last Night

Had my first (proper) gig last night for a friend's sister's party. Decent crowd of 70, who I eventually got dancing. Turns out 14 year olds actually love the songs they claim they hate.

I really enjoyed it myself as I managed to work in a good number of my own favourite tracks while keeping the top 100s in there every few songs.

Began with some prog house, and then worked my way up the bpm range until I was playing dubstep. Then I dropped back down to about 100bmp to let them calm down, and then worked my way back up to around 130 bmp so that I could finish with some more prog. house and top 100s in that area.

Best thing I ever did was to pretend I didn't have levels, even though I had it requested about 20 times, which of course I did. Then after the second last track I let it go quiet for about 15 seconds, and then put on levels - awesome reaction - although I had the host on my back to kill it with 12 seconds left on the track.

The system was a pair of SRM450s, though I suspect the main driver in one was broken, so I was on one main driver and two horns, but it sounded OK.

Dealing with the boys was interested. They were very excitable, and started touching my gear. Requests were also a bit of a pest, but putting on the headphones and looking busy worked wonders.

My Kit:
    - nanoPad
    - Audio 2
    - TMA-1
    - Traktor 2 Pro

Had a great night, and got paid to boot. I was doing it as a favour to a friend, so getting paid was nice. Though to be honest I think I rocked that party pretty hard and did and awesome job.

Banned

Nice one mate, but what the crap is Levels?

Sounds like you handled the night really well! Young crowds can be tough.

When people put their hands on my gear, I brush their hands off with my fingers, like they're a pesky insect. People tend to get the point!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Nice one mate, but what the crap is Levels?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVk1HOlkq_o

people go crazy to this song lol

Banned

The song is nothing more than one huge breakdown

congrats on the gig!

..but isnt dubstep lower bpm than house? like 70ish?

Tech Guru

Some is some isnt, theres some that I think is almost 140..not 100% sure though

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 3IJ View Post
    congrats on the gig!

..but isnt dubstep lower bpm than house? like 70ish?
    I tend to set the grid on my dubstep at 140. Which is good for two reasons. Firstly it's easier to get from 128bmp to 140bpm, and secondly if you feel like it you can then go from 140 up to about 145-150ish for some hard dance.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    When people put their hands on my gear, I brush their hands off with my fingers, like they're a pesky insect. People tend to get the point!
    I spent the whole night swatting hands away. One particularly irritating girl I grabbed her arm when she kept trying and gave her "the look" and she finally got the point.

Tech Wizard

Depends on how you want to count it.
    The drums often feel like they're at 70 and the melody feels like 140.

I think (but dont know for sure) most people mark it at 140ish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast