Old school Dj with new school questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Old school Dj with new school questions

Ok guys after alot of looking around on the net i think i've finally found the place i'm looking for.

I have been running 1210's for the last 15 years and i think its about time i got with the times so i've invested in traktor scratch pro and time code vinyl.

My first question is if i was to buy a pair of Native instruments kontrol x1's would i need a 4 channel mixer or do they run on the same channels as 1210's for cue points and so on?

Sorry for whats prob a simple question but i'm totally new to the world of digital dj'ing

If I understand it well, you want to use the X1s for the same channels in Traktor as your timecode vinyl. In this case you will not need extra channels on your mixer.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Tech Convert

Yeah i dont think i would ever be doing anything over than deck mixing, i would only be using the x1's for cue point and for controling effects. I know 1 either side of the mixer looks sexy but will i really only need one?

It indeed woud look sexy but for two deck mixing you really only need one X1.

Save the money
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

If your only running two decks then most likely 1 will be enough if your using it for cue points and effects
    MPB - TP - TS Pro 2 - Audio 6 - Technics 1200mk2 - Xone 22 - xone53 - Kontrol X1 - Axiom 49 - M-audio C400

Tech Convert

Cheers guys think i'll just stick with the one then, Another thing that confuses the hell out me is the mixer. I under stand the time coded vinyl controls the software but how does the mixer come into play? Do i need a midi mixer?

works something like this

vinyl sends signal to the soundcard (audio 2,4,6,8,10) which forwards that to the computer to control playback postition. The computer sends sound signal back to soundcard - splits signal into 2-4 outs which go into the mixer as if they were coming from analog decks.

Then you use the mixer just as you would normally

The x1 controls Traktor internally on the computer for effects and bouncing between cue points.
    MPB - TP - TS Pro 2 - Audio 6 - Technics 1200mk2 - Xone 22 - xone53 - Kontrol X1 - Axiom 49 - M-audio C400

Tech Convert

Top answer mate, I'll try get some pictures on when i'm up and running. How you finding your xone 22?

Tech Mentor

Hey there mate... Two years ago I was in almost the same situation as you with regard to using only vinyl.... also purchased Traktor Scratch Pro.... now using Pro 2..... All of the advice given here is usually top notch... one thing worth mentioning is that if you haven't already purchased an X1 you might look into using two Akai LPD 8's instead of one X1...

With only one X1, you don't have enough knobs to run all four FX banks at once....also, the LPD8's are much easier to fit into tight DJ booths if you play out frequently.

The x1 IMO is much more user friendly than lpd8s.

Layout plus led feedback plus plug and play = win
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast