Is that cheating?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Is that cheating?

I listen to a lot of DJ mixes, A LOT of mixes. As an avid DJ, I feel it's something that helps me, but is it cheating if I hear two songs that go REALLY well together, mixed by another DJ. go FIND those two songs and replicate that mix? After hearing someone else do it? Is that cheating? Or is it just another way of finding new music?

I'm kinda torn on this.

Tech Mentor

I'd call that inspiration. Your mix won't come out exactly the same anyways. You'll probably accidentally do something different and really like how it turned out. Now if you were to download the mix and adding it into a set...THAT'S cheating. haha.
    17" MBP, TP2, X1, MF Classic (soon to be custom), Custom VCI-100, Oxygen 25, Guitar Hero Guitar (inspired by DJTT!), MBox 3 (overkill, but swapping to Audio2)

Follow my Mod Projects and More on Facebook and Youtube

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

As long as you don't abuse it, it's a valid resource. Personally i'd rather try to imitate how they mixed it (technique) than copy the exact same transition.

Tech Guru

There is no cheating. Go out and have fun.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    There is no cheating. Go out and have fun.
    Unless your name is Peter Hook

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by feelthecisuM View Post
    I listen to a lot of DJ mixes, A LOT of mixes. As an avid DJ, I feel it's something that helps me, but is it cheating if I hear two songs that go REALLY well together, mixed by another DJ. go FIND those two songs and replicate that mix? After hearing someone else do it? Is that cheating? Or is it just another way of finding new music?

I'm kinda torn on this.
    Its a matter of personal opinion... fast forward your DJing career to the point of success, now put yourself in the opposite position.... If you hear an up and coming DJ replicate something that you're known for how would you feel? What ever the answer to that question is - stay consistent if and when you meet with success... That said, it is one thing to copy and another to take inspiration and make it your own.

For me.. I am constantly inspired by other artist's DJ mixes and productions... I don't usually find myself replicating mixes and productions, but I often do discover new music or even new styles of mixing that inevitably influence my mixes, remixes, and productions... also, those artists that most inspire me I tend to hold up on pedestals when I'm asked about my influences.

I'm kinda torn on this.
    That's not cheating, just poor sense of creativity.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

practising another dj's set is fine, a great way to learn. copying their setlist for your own mix is lame.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Unless your name is Peter Hook
    LOL! Hey man, if people keep parting with their money to go see him, who am I to knock his hustle?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    That's not cheating, just poor sense of creativity.
    How the hell did you come to that conclusion, yea if you're using their mix and song selection for you own set I see that the person would have a poor sense of creativity but for anything else I think it's great! I saw a video of
    A-trak juggling Robot rock by daft punk and thought it was awesome so I tried to re create it as best I could so I knew exactly how and what he was doing. Now by doing this do I have a poor sense of creativity???
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast