iPad do you DJ/Produce with it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default iPad do you DJ/Produce with it?

Christmas is coming and my family have decided to give me money as a gift (just because i already have alot and im hard to buy for) with money i have im thinking about getting an iPad 2 not particularly for DJ use more of a gadget.

But im wondering how many of you guys use the iPad while you DJ what you use it for, what apps you use and how reliable and important it is to your setup.

I like the look of TouchOSC the fact it could turn out to be a poormans lemur and make my own layout is EXTREMELY appealing to me as i like to customize stuff to my preference people making layouts like a X1 and such.

Also do you use somewhat in production? maybe in the very initial stages as a portable note taker? i notice you can get things like electribe apps and synths i find it very difficult to come up with melodys and if i hear something that strikes me (it can be anything... a ringtone or just a song in the chart) that has a certain progression to it i like i need to take it down by playing what im hearing in my head else i lose it im not a musically gifted person so its purely based on me making something visual to expand from.

Sorry for the long questions but i would love to hear what you use it for to see if the iPad may be worth my time.

search here and u will get ur answer
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Wizard

Get an iPad... good for producing shit on the go, and you can also export midi files, pretty useful tool with an amazing multitasking so you can switch between fader apps, knob apps and button apps and whatnot just by dragging with 4 fingers at once if you wanna use it as a midi controller as well.
    iOS 5 is one of those things people hate on until they get one trust me :P and expect haters on the go, but you'll love it anyway.

Grab the Rebirth app from Propellerheads for some old school fun!
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Mentor

I've used the ipad loads for playing around. it's great to use to mix with at a party. The music apps are ever expanding. I personally like Rebirth (already mentioned), GarageBand, TouchOSC, FingerBand, iMaschine, Djay, ikaossilator and Rj Voyager. There's loads more music apps and it can do a whole lot more than just music mind
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

I got my ipad2 the first day it came out and own pretty much every music app worth owning you will never get board you can dj with it create beats or full songs on the go,create mappings win midi touch etc.... It's alot more than a tablet

PCer asking iPad question -

My wife has an iPad, with lots of R&B, etc. - perfect for 'elevator noise' - could I patch this into the S4 via a Griffin splitter for background muzak when not mixing?
    356 reasons why

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    PCer asking iPad question -

My wife has an iPad, with lots of R&B, etc. - perfect for 'elevator noise' - could I patch this into the S4 via a Griffin splitter for background muzak when not mixing?
    If you mean a RCA to 3.5mm cable in channel D then yes you can. Just set it to line and thru and your good to go.
    13" Core I7 MBP - Kontrol S4 - Midi Fighter - RP-DJ1200 - BX8a

Quote Originally Posted by dominant View Post
    If you mean a RCA to 3.5mm cable in channel D then yes you can. Just set it to line and thru and your good to go.
    Yup - the Griifin splitter is ideal - it gives you two 3.5mm lines, one for headphone monitoring, and one for (unbalanced, stereo) audio signal. Thank you D.
    Last edited by JonathanBlake; 11-21-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    356 reasons why

Tech Wizard

Touchosc is awesome as a controller, but I ended up buying a midi mobilizer 2 so I could hard wire it. The latency was too much (especially for hot cues) when I used it over wireless. Ad-hoc was better but meant I needed to set it up every time.

There are some awesome apps as well.. Tabletop, beat maker 2 being my top two for production type stuff. I havent played with syncing either of those with traktor. That's next on my list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast