How many of you do this? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rabid View Post
    If your doing a controllerism routine, go nuts. If it's a live mix that people need to dance to, go nuts to the extent that it doesn't ruin the rhythm/energy. If you have tricks to add to a song that you feel would make the song better/more unique and personal, and it won't hurt the energy (may even help it), go for it, but if it's obvious that you're doing it, a lot of times it's not pleasant to the audience (unless you have a dj savvy audience)
    nailed it imo
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

I agree with whats been said on here, but I gota say that was freakin sweet!!!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rabid View Post
    If your doing a controllerism routine, go nuts. If it's a live mix that people need to dance to, go nuts to the extent that it doesn't ruin the rhythm/energy. If you have tricks to add to a song that you feel would make the song better/more unique and personal, and it won't hurt the energy (may even help it), go for it, but if it's obvious that you're doing it, a lot of times it's not pleasant to the audience (unless you have a dj savvy audience)
    See, and that's what I found in this mix. Controllerism is cool and definitely artistic, but it's obviously not for clubs. While this still falls in the realm of controllerism, its to a less extreme extent and, I personally think, that some of the audience could catch on if they know the songs. Remixes, if well done (I know its an arbitrary concept but in general...), are usually popular and this is pretty much a different type of live remixing on the fly with roots closer to controllerism.

Pretty much, it would be cool to see it more often live

Everyone needs to watch the mcmash clan, they are the masters of chopping up tunes. 4 decks, no syncing. Most awesome mixing I've ever seen. They actually do this for hours live. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BE2T4kZrUo
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

If you have the opportunity to play a bunch of brostep live doing this is not challenging, taking any two or three or four brostep tracks and just slam the crossfader or upfaders on beat and swap the wubwubs and it sounds like this. You could do this with just about any group of songs on the beatport top 100 dubstep with similar results.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4e8D...&feature=feedf
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

I'm with xone and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    heres the way I approach the topic, for myself if i'm not doing something other than letting a track play, then I get bored and wonder why I'm djing. when i play out, almost every track i play is a live mash up, and although the majority of the audience can't tell that I'm doing more than just letting songs play, i feel more fulfilled doing something technical, than i do when im not doing anything (if that makes sense haha ).
    If you don't like the music you're spinning, why are you spinning it?

I mean…mashups are a thing, and–seriously–who the hell am I to stop you from achieving your artistic vision…but that doesn't sound like art. That sounds like you're just bored and trying to stay entertained.

Screw that. Find better music.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'm with xone and cold.

If you don't like the music you're spinning, why are you spinning it?

I mean…mashups are a thing, and–seriously–who the hell am I to stop you from achieving your artistic vision…but that doesn't sound like art. That sounds like you're just bored and trying to stay entertained.

Screw that. Find better music.
    haha sorry, i guess didn't word my post very well! i do enjoy the music that i play (or else i wouldn't have gotten into djing in the first place ). BUT if all i'm doing is playing that music without some how adding on it, then i feel like i'm simply playing music, and not performing (edit: doing stuff like what i did in this mix makes me feel like i'm putting more into my sets and makes them more meaningful to me i guess). hopefully that clears things haha

edit: as for the mash ups thing, its not to just stay entertained, i really enjoy making them haha! mash ups are the reason i bought my first pair of decks everyone has something that they enjoy about djing, and thats mine
    Last edited by IznremiX; 11-16-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Very cool, then.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Everyone needs to watch the mcmash clan, they are the masters of chopping up tunes. 4 decks, no syncing. Most awesome mixing I've ever seen. They actually do this for hours live. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BE2T4kZrUo
    This I like!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

They are so good! And every now and again I bump into the dude in the green out in London, nice guy. They are playing in my favourite bar (maybe 50 man capacity and a really nice sounding oversized sound system) for crimbo, can't wait
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast