what midi controller did you start with?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default what midi controller did you start with?

Hey guys, so I'm starting to get into producing music and I am trying to find a good midi controller to use. I want something to put by my laptop, within 200. However the cheaper the better, id prefer a all in one, however getting separate controllers like a keyboard and then a drum pads is fine. As long as it is cheaper thann 200

well what currency are we talking here? lots of second hand X1's floating about at the moment, pair that with something like a cheap X-Session Pro and you have yourself a banging wee setup for a beginner! or maybe waiting for the Allen and Heath K2 to come out may be a good idea, it'll work perfectly for an all in one as a beginner! Even something like a VCI-100, which i recently saw for 200 quid in the buy and sell section, would be a perfect starter kit!

Honestly, my starting setup was/is the most budget friendly thing I could find.

X-Session Pro
    Korg nano-series.

If you want to start inexpensively, that setup will get you started. I quickly realized where I want to go, but it's always a matter of balancing cost vs functionality.

Although honestly now that I've had a chance to mess around with both, the smaller Akai series is of MUCH better build quality than the Korg stuff.

I've found a lot of uses for the X-Session Pro in mapping with Ableton, beyond just as a mixer.

That being said, you can go for an all-in-one (but I'm not to fond of them honestly, and they aren't cheap) or just build modular.

I think having a modular production setup is probably the best option.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Still using it, Numark Omnicontrol. It's a really nice little toy with a built in soundcard for convenience and LOADS of customization potential for when you want to start throwing in new tricks to your mix

Edit: Pricewise, it was about $400 i think at the time, you can probably get it cheaper at this point. I personally like it for a starter tool, I do want to upgrade to an external mixer though. The control on it is pretty good, but it's not built for heavy mixing/cue juggling, even though the faders are pretty smooth (never touched anything like an innofader so others may disagree)

RE-edit: As was mentioned, didn't realize you're looking for production equipment, can't speak from experience on that area.
    Last edited by Jack Rabid; 11-14-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    My equipment: Numark Omnicontrol Midi Controller, Traktor Pro (lol pro setup right?)

Rabid Season Mix

for production get an akai mpk49. that's what I have and it pretty much has everything you need, is great quality, and and has excellent ableton integration. you can get them used for $200. mpk25 is also solid, more compact, and can easily be had within your budget.

So you want a controller for producing music, right? Then the omnicontrol and X1 maybe aren't what your looking for... I'd suggest a decent MIDI keyboard at first with some knobs and such to play around with. That'll get you pretty far I recon, and after that you'll see what you lack and compliment with additional controllers...

Tech Mentor

M-Audio Oxygen 49 + Novation Launchpad/Akai APC20 would be a good start for producing Ableton, and both will run you just over $200 brand new, so it seems to be within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by uanaka View Post
    Hey guys, so I'm starting to get into producing music and I am trying to find a good midi controller to use. I want something to put by my laptop, within 200. However the cheaper the better, id prefer a all in one, however getting separate controllers like a keyboard and then a drum pads is fine. As long as it is cheaper thann 200
    I think the other posters missed the now-bolded part.

Umm…do you play keyboard/piano? If you don't, you might be happy with something like an MPK25 or one of the M-Audio Oxygen keyboards.

My first (and only) keyboard was some really basic M-Audio thing that a friend lent me and never took back. My first drum pad was an M-Audio Trigger Finger that never got used. Only thing that's changed since then is that I got a Maschine after buying and returning or selling some other cheap keyboards.

My first midi controller was a Roland JX-1 synthesizer... bought it back in 1995.

To answer your question; doesn't really matter... probably good to get at least a 5 octave keyboard with some nice knobs/sliders/etc and perhaps some built in drum pads. For £200/$200 you'll be fine...

Tech Mentor

Deleted for irrational response.
    Last edited by roshanbhoj; 11-14-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast