MBP 15 or 17? What's your opinion? I'd like to know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default MBP 15 or 17? What's your opinion? I'd like to know.

Hey all,

I'm getting a new MBP and while the specs on the 15 and the 17 are virtually the same (except the display) I was thinking of getting the MBP 15. I have a 17 Dell XPS right now and I love how large the screen is but I just hate the overall size (weight) of the XPS. I know the MBP 17 is not the same weight. But is it really worth the extra $$ of getting a 17 vs a 15? I will be traveling (not a lot). So I'm wondering what some of you think?

Looking forward to seeing some good responses.

Cheers,

-- Ian

as a owner of a 17" mbp, i'd say definitely go with the 15. Sure the larger screen is nice but if you get the 15 with the higher res screen you'll be okay. My laptop is heavy and big and not too many bags hold 17" mbp's as it is. plus nowadays the 15" is just as powerful as the 17.

Shouldn't be having your eyes on the laptop too much anyway. You'll miss the schenadigans on the dance floor

Tech Wizard

Default Re: MBP 15 or 17? What's your opinion? I'd like to know.

After coming seconds away from ordering the 13" online, I ended up going with the 15". I have to say that it is perfect for viewing traktor if that's what you use. I could not be happier with it, and I don't think that the 17" is worth the extra cash or weight. Also, if you can wait until second quarter next year, Apple will be releasing a newly redesigned MBP. Should be great. Best of luck!!
    "My friend's cat's hairdresser's botanist told me so." -Newg

Tech Convert

Is the 13" a bad call? I kind of like having a small screen for the road, but I don't want to be killing my eyes trying to look at traktor. Does anyone here use a 13" to DJ? If so, do you find it difficult at all?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by phractured View Post
    Is the 13" a bad call? I kind of like having a small screen for the road, but I don't want to be killing my eyes trying to look at traktor. Does anyone here use a 13" to DJ? If so, do you find it difficult at all?
    I use a 13" MB and I have bad eyes, and it doesn't bother me at all. Would I like a bigger screen? Sure. Do I need one? Nope.

I just sold my 15"MacBook pro and bought a new 13" and I much prefer it

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mfuchs19 View Post
    After coming seconds away from ordering the 13" online, I ended up going with the 15". I have to say that it is perfect for viewing traktor if that's what you use.
    Exactly! Same way with me, and the weight is not an issue for traveling purposes..I would recommend 15" and as for processing power I have never had a problem with having multiple applications open i.e. Traktor, Logic, and Komplete..
    VCI-100 (DJTT Overlay - 1.4) - Neon Yellow Knobs
    Midi-Fighter
    15" MacBook Pro (Quad-Core i7)
    Traktor Pro 2 w/ Audio 2 DJ
    Stephon Ikōs (www.soundcloud.com/gbushkuhl)

Quote Originally Posted by phractured View Post
    Right here.

Whilst the 13" doesn't bother me, I'd prefer a 15".
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Tech Mentor

17" is not mobile anymore. It is a portable desktop for those traveling between their home and office. A 17" laptop is too freakin large to effectively use it while traveling. I have seen a guy with a 17" in the train today, he was struggling to get it up and running without getting the girl next to him involved.

Try getting a 17" into a cramped dj booth, you can use it to protect yourself from the audience .
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast