First Club gig: DJ Competition !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Club gig: DJ Competition !

Hi all,

A great opportunity has struck me !!
    One of the two nightclubs in my city is holding a DJ competition and the winner gets a residency, as one of their resident DJs is leaving.

I feel my skills are now sufficiently high to start mixing in a club. It's been a dream for a long time and this is my shot to make it happen.

I was just listening to the playlist I prepared (I'll have 30 minutes to show what I can with a crowd in front of me), and whilst doing that and imagining myself how it would be to mix in front of that crowd and in a club, I got sort of an adrenaline rush and started jumping and clapping all over the place.

This got me thinking, do you have any advice to keep cool and stay concentrated when doing my set ? I think I need this.

I got some stickers printed to give out, to promote myself a little whilst I have the opportunity. (CDs where to expensive and time-consuming for my student budget)

If you have any advice, please share !
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Tech Mentor

Embrace that enthusiasm, people love to see that you are enjoying the tunes and it adds to the show.

Thats great man, well done for embracing the opportunity.

Just be yourself and rock it hard.
    Soundcloud - Check it out

Macbook Pro 13" - Numark Mixtrack Pro - MidiFighter

Tech Convert

Few things...

Take a deep breath and take it all in just before you start.. remember to relax.

Compititions are great in many ways. Try not to think of it as a battle, the guy you're going against may become a close aquaintance or friend. In my experience, getting to know DJ's is your way in. In other words, it doenst matter if you lose if you get the respect of your peers (other DJs).

Have some backup songs in case you go last... you don't wanna play the same tune as your opponent.

Be prepared to freestyle. They may have you play more than one set - be prepared.

Just have fun with it. Be you. Don't get caught up in your screen, connect with the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by crumarbit View Post
    people love to see that you are enjoying the tunes and it adds to the show
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamix View Post
    Just be yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by AGizzle View Post
    remember to relax.

it doenst matter if you lose if you get the respect of your peers (other DJs).

Have some backup songs in case you go last

They may have you play more than one set - be prepared.

Just have fun with it. Be you. Don't get caught up in your screen, connect with the crowd.
    Great advise guys ! I thought of having a 2nd set prepared too, will definitely do that.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Quote Originally Posted by D.S.M.I.T. View Post
    I got sort of an adrenaline rush and started jumping and clapping all over the place.
    Just do that the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    Just do that the whole time.
    Well I don't want to look like David Guetta either.
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Tech Guru

Well I don't want to look like David Guetta either.
    but look where Guetta's at now ^-^ lol
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

I was just listening to the playlist I prepared (I'll have 30 minutes to show what I can with a crowd in front of me), and whilst doing that and imagining myself how it would be to mix in front of that crowd and in a club, I got sort of an adrenaline rush and started jumping and clapping all over the place.
    Last competition i was at we were rated on everything from technical ability, originality, crowd reaction, and stage performance.

I jumped about like a tit, screamed the cities name are you ready???! GOO!! and all that shite, i got a 9.5 for stage performance )

If you can still do all your set, among jumping about then do it.
    If you think youll over-do it and muck a mix up then do it a wee bit but keep your cool.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

If you're feeling it, the crowd and judges will feel the energy. Just drop your best stuff, don't hold back and rock out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast