Help, am I responsible for these blown club speakers?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Help, am I responsible for these blown club speakers?

So, just played a "club" in NYC and about 30 minutes before the party was over the sound died. Turns out they are claiming that all 4 speakers blew. I was running traktor, through a traktor box and into their 3.5mm input because that was all we could manage to hook into. Their amp and such was limited at 50% or noon and we were not redlining.

They claim that all 4 speakers blew simultaneously and said it was $750 worth of damage... I am hardly a sound expert, but does this sound legitimate? I find it hard to believe that we could possibly kill 2 sets of speakers so easily and at once.

Thanks

A 3.5mm input on a amp? wtf?! was it a car amp?
    Last edited by CaptainMidnight; 11-16-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Technics 1200 MK2s - Vestax PMC06 - NI Kontrol S2 - Traktor - Akai APC40 - Ableton Live 8

Just because the amps not clipping doesnt mean you couldnt blow the pa. The amp may have been rated higher than the speakers could handle and too much gain and distortion can cause serious damage. It screams of a badly setup PA though.

The best way to judge it is by the sound, you'll notice when the subs are farting. Did it sound shit all night long? Or just for your set?
    Did you redline the mixer all night?

I doubt all speakers would blow at once, if it all stopped simultaneously its more likely an amp has gone or you blew a fuse somewhere.

Also, considering you can get a "15 driver for well under the £100 mark you could fix all of them for half of what they say you owe.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

LoLz.

But on the serious side, only if you signed to something that declares you're responsible for liable damage I would say you're in the clear?

Than again, 3.5mm input on an amp?!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

There is no way you could do that even if you tried. And if you were going into a 3.5mm input it sounds like a sketchy setup anyways.

If they're trying to get you to pay that $750, I would get some proper legal advice.

First what does your booking agreements say about this situation?

If they had limiters its not your fault its the sounds guys fault. And WTF kind of club have an earphone jack for an input.

If they do pursue you for the dollars, I hope you have DJ/Entertainers insurance...........
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

It sounded fine all night, and then just all of a sudden, silence... we brought down rca cables but they had no rca in, like wtf. it was a pyle amp running 4 small like gallery speakers.

In my experience the only thing that will take out simultaneous speakers is an amp going out. I bet you the amp died and took all the speakers out.

Tech Mentor

Some amps to have 3.5 in them for cd input.

As for blown speakers, I would ask them to have the installer/sound engineer investigate before comming to the conclusion that you caused the problem.

For one, when we do installs we account for those types of things so they don't happen. Even if you redlined the whole night you wouldn't blow anything up. Plus, every piece of gear we bring is combined to optimize how the room will sound when its full of people.

The only reason I can see this happening in a club is if they DIY'd the install.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast