Are speakers an essential part of DJ'ing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are speakers an essential part of DJ'ing?

I'm starting to get into DJ'ing and was wondering if purchasing some speakers/ monitors is something I should definitely look into when I purchase my controller.. thanks!!

Tech Mentor

sure if you can get some good ones cheap. Look into some used JBL EON G1 10 or 15 inch. Should go for 100-150$, they are self powered PA system.

You can't learn to cue up the next song in your headphones without speakers. That being said, you won't need them to start off because there will be a ton of other things to learn.

Also you will keep others in the house happy mixing in your headphones.

are the KRK Rokit 6's good speaker to start with, and do I need to buy a pair or one is fine? I live in a super small apartment.

Tech Guru

no, not really.

an expensive set of studio monitors are not going to make you a better dj like they would for a producer.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeCz View Post
    are the KRK Rokit 6's good speaker to start with, and do I need to buy a pair or one is fine? I live in a super small apartment.
    They are good to start and end with. They are excellent . You need a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    no, not really.

an expensive set of studio monitors are not going to make you a better dj like they would for a producer.
    Agreed. If you cant spend the money then speakers are the last thing you need to worry about as long as you dont get shitty bad ones.

Seriously, if your just starting out plug your gear into your HiFi and get used to the DJ side of things.

Someone will come along and tell you that you need amazing speakers and you simply dont.

I played thru my Kenwood HiFi for years. Get your skills down before sweating about fancy monitors.

Thats my 2 eggs anyway.

Hell, old school it and go hit some pawn shops. I picked up a set of Technics SB-T100's about 10 years ago for $50 and they have been sitting on top of my Community Cabs every since.

KRK's are nice and I own a set too but thats about $300 for a new set. Just shop around, you can find pretty good used gear to get started with and save you some money for the ongoing addiction of buying new music and equipment upgrades.

If you learn how to make your mixes sound great on sub-par PA equipment you'll be amazed when you upgrade to some good stuff.
    MIXCRATE - Mixify

2 1200's - A wall of wAx - SSL - DDJ-SX

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post

Seriously, if your just starting out plug your gear into your HiFi and get used to the DJ side of things.
    I agree with most of the responders. I would just caution that some HiFi equipment may introduce a delay, thus beat matching by ear would get screwed up. When I first got my S4, I thought hey, I will just practice in the living room through my living room stereo and I had this exact problem.

As a side note: I currently I use a small Fender Passport 150 in my bedroom for practicing on. It is no where near the audio quality of some nice studio monitors, but it gives me an ultra portable PA to bring to friends houses or dj small house parties.

Xpozur

Tech Mentor

speakers are an essential part of mobile DJ'ing.
    high quality monitors is essential to producing music.
    you need to listen to music to learn to DJ, but it doesnt really matter much, your headphones should pretty much work at first.

I would get a good set of headphones before monitors.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast