USB Headphones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Headphones

Tech Convert

Default USB Headphones

Hey all, I'm very new to producing music (started with FL last week, now learning Live) and was thinking about buying a Arturia 25 key Keyboard Controller I saw in a thread a few days ago. My only problem is the latency that I get when I'm using my actual usb keyboard. I want to be able to play on the MIDI Keyboard without any delay when I'm pressing they keys down, and a friend told me if my soundcard wasn't very good I could get a good set of USB Headphones that would make a big difference. Anyway, here are a few questions...

1.) Will a good usb headset give me lag free playing with said Keyboard Controller?
    2.) If so, what would a good one be?
    3.) If not, what should I do about it?

Thanks
    ~ K1K0
    Last edited by K1ng K0bra; 11-17-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Why would you like USB headphones? I'd suggest a decent sound card and headphones.

Ya I'm confused on this one

I have no idea how USB headphones could reduce latency but i wouldnt go that route anyways

Just grab Sony 7506's,sennheisers hd280/600, Google the subject and you will info. But the key to producing with headphones is knowing how each headphone replicates sound. Some headphones create a higher midrange or sound unnatural. So something may sound great in your headphones but completely a large system or any system.

I would change your question as to why you are getting latency

Give computer/keyboard specs. Might get you a better answer
    MPB - TP - TS Pro 2 - Audio 6 - Technics 1200mk2 - Xone 22 - xone53 - Kontrol X1 - Axiom 49 - M-audio C400

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yeah your headphones are not what's causing the latency it's your probably sound card. Give us more info on your set up.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Towner View Post
    Just grab Sony 7506's,sennheisers hd280/600
    I looked them up and the reviews were nice, I think I'll get the 280 pro when I order my Arturia.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that one of my friends who has been producing music for a few years now told me that instead of buying a new soundcard I could get a good set of USB headphones and it would do the same thing.

I ran dxdiag but couldn't really find any useful information on my soundcard Here's what I got so far...

Processor: AMD Athlon 7550 Dual-Core Processor, 2.5GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM

So when I click on my sound tab I get...

Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio)
    ~and~
    Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)

And just a USB Keyboard. If anyone has advice on finding out my Sound Card I'll do what they tell me, but I'm about to open up my pc and see if I can find something out myself...
    Last edited by K1ng K0bra; 11-17-2011 at 02:18 PM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You should invest some of that money earmarked for headphones and buy an external sound card.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    You should invest some of that money earmarked for headphones and buy an external sound card.
    Sorry, I should rephrase what I'm looking for. I want ANY way to play a MIDI Controller without any lag through the keys, but I want it to sound good too. Basically I'll pay for headphones/soundcard/external soundcard if I have to but I dont quite know what I need yet haha. So why would I do that, benefits and such. And what would a good kind be?

NI Audio 2
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    NI Audio 2
    Just watched a review. Looks epic, but I don't really understand how external sound cards work :S I'll do some more research, but if you could explain how I could use it with Live and how it would make producing dubstep more efficient that would be awesome!
    Last edited by K1ng K0bra; 11-17-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K1ng K0bra View Post
    Just watched a review. Looks epic, but I don't really understand how external sound cards work :S I'll do some more research, but if you could explain how I could use it with Live and how it would make producing dubstep more efficient that would be awesome!
    An external soundcard will minimize your latency. If you're on Windows it will utilize ASIO which is relatively latence free. Guess this is due to the higher processing power of more professional grade soundcards than crap onboard soundcards (someone might have to debunk or confirm that notion...). So a good external soundcard will lower your latency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast