Is It Over?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Over?

Tech Mentor

Default Is It Over?

I noticed in the Blog post of the top 100 DJ's (lets not argue over the methods or how shitty the list is please?) there are only 2 Hip Hop Dj's who barely made the cut and one of them is probably approaching 50 years old. I gave up on most of the Hip Hop that has come out in the last decade but I chalked that up to being old and doing the whole "You call this music? Back in my day..." type of thing. I still enjoy the occasional new Hip Hop group here and there and hear it's influence in alot of "Indie Bands" and other types of music but is the genre itself doomed?
    As I think about my favorite Dj's They are all my age and up. Are they a dieing breed? Are there any new groups or MC's that you think are worthy of listening to? Are there any Dj's to carry on the torch of what I call the second generation of Dj's like Cut Chemist, Z-Trip, Mix Master Mike etc...?

Okay, so he's not particularly new…he's been engineering for Jay-Z since Blueprint, I think…but yeah…he's good.

I live in Atlanta, and sometimes there seems to be nothing but hip hop.

There's definitely still good hip-hop music coming out, but you have to wade through more crap to find it now. The golden age is definitely over though.

As for hip-hop DJs, I think it's the same kind of thing, but perhaps the situation is even worse there. I read your post and then thought for a couple of minutes on who are the young equivalents to people like Z-Trip and I can't think of anyone. That's not to say that there aren't people out there, but it's just harder for them to break through and get a name for themselves now.

Oh yeah, while there were some good hip-hop DJs on DJ Forums (some very good ones in fact), I did also notice quite a few that seem to mix hip-hop like they mix EDM. Perhaps that's a product of the equipment they've chosen to use though, in fact, I'd say it almost certainly is.

Tech Mentor

I've never been a Jay-Z fan (overated, "ducks") but I'll have to look into some of his production work. Any up and coming Mc's coming out of ATL? I've been unimpressed with the Waka Flocka and Gucci type Mc's but thought Aleon Craft was doing some interesting things.

I'd be surprised if the amount of people who listen to hip-hop didn't far outweigh the number of people who vote in djmag's top 100. So I think it is a fairly redundant question.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dafe View Post
    I'd be surprised if the amount of people who listen to hip-hop didn't far outweigh the number of people who vote in djmag's top 100. So I think it is a fairly redundant question.
    I was mainly refering to the DJTT list http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/11/1...p-100-dj-list/
    which tried to get a more accurate accounting of who the biggest Dj's are based on followers vs. people voting.

I produce hiphop / rap! Ya'll should check it out.

www.djkunal.com/dtrecords

Jazzy Jeff is on the top of my list. His song selection, I feel, is on point all the time. From soul, to funk, to hip-hop. If you're not moving, there's something wrong with you. It's sad to see all these EDM "DJS" and a couple of hip-hop djs make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by killerfanatics View Post
    Jazzy Jeff is on the top of my list. His song selection, I feel, is on point all the time. From soul, to funk, to hip-hop. If you're not moving, there's something wrong with you. It's sad to see all these EDM "DJS" and a couple of hip-hop djs make the list.
    yup... Jazzy Jeff is a dying breed and my inspiration to becoming a dj!

Quote Originally Posted by dafe View Post
    ahh i see i see. hadn't seen the blog post and had just assumed it was for djmag. interesting approach they took, maybe the hip hop scene engages with their audience in a more traditional manner i.e. not facebook etc. still kinda surprising though i guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast