Loop length set (modifier question - I think)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Loop length set (modifier question - I think)

I'm trying to recreate a feature I use quite a lot that uses two rotaries at the moment (s4 standard mapping) onto just one.

Whilst this sounds dead easy, i.e. just four commands onto the one rotary i can't get the sensitivity correct.

I often grab a short loop, decrease the loop size whilst adding filter at the same time.

My aim is to do this with one clickable encoder, click on, grab the loop, decrease the loop at the same time increasing the HP filter.

No matter how I play around with the sensitivity and acceleration, i can get it to do it as smooth as I can do manually.

Therefore my question is

Is there a way of limiting the loop length by modifiers, so that I can get a bigger swing on the filter without jumping into .32 or 32 beats?

The ideal would be grab 1 beat with encoder push, engaging filter, turning the encoder right decreases loop length to a maximum of .16 and the HP filter full on. pushing the encoder again turns it off .....

I guess it's possible by adjusting the sensitivities of the encoders, but they don't act smoothly enough and frankly sound pants...

I can't seem to find this answer in Rainers Bible, or in the forums ... it must have been done by someone, somewhere ...

thanks very muchly.
    Last edited by JSM; 11-19-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: wrong place
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

Tech Mentor

I think I may have a way. I'll keep you posted. I don't have an s4 though, so hopefully if I get you a mapping from an X1, you can transfer it over, otherwise you may be in for some studying. But it's going to be a lot easier for both of use if I just DO it, and then pass it off. haha.
    17" MBP, TP2, X1, MF Classic (soon to be custom), Custom VCI-100, Oxygen 25, Guitar Hero Guitar (inspired by DJTT!), MBox 3 (overkill, but swapping to Audio2)

Follow my Mod Projects and More on Facebook and Youtube

Tech Mentor

Alright. Here's what i CAN do for you:

• Push encoder-Set loop size of X, turn on filter @ default setting
    • Turn encoder down- decrease loop size & increase filter value
    • Turn encoder up- increase loop size & decrease filter value
    • Push encoder- Loop out, deactivate filter

There are a few catches:

• Loop has to be dropped on the same value each time (probably 4 or 8 beats, whichever you prefer)
    • Due to the low resolution of the encoders (I'm assuming they're the same ones on the S4) the sensetivities don't exactly line up. (# of "clicks" per value change isn't constant). Because of this, you're going to be limited to the same number of loop size options as modifier values (8-size range, ex 1/16 to 8, or 1/8 to 16 beats)
    • If you leave the loop on the same value as dropping it (as in, you did your effect down to the 1/16 note level, then opened it back up to 4beats) the Filter would remain on, messing up the effect the NEXT time you dropped the loop.

HOWEVER!!!
    There's a loophole to every single one of these PROVIDING you have enough open modifier slots. (Hell, with all 8 modifiers, I can make traktor do an Irish Jig for you ) So please let me know the following:

1. Do you use the encoder to do anything BUT the effect you're looking for here? (If you do, how many open modifier slots do you have to play with?)
    2. Do you have a problem using more than 1 .tsi for your controller? (This would give me all the modifiers I needed, providing this is the only time you use the encoder)
    3. What loop size would you want to drop by default (4 beats, 8 beats, etc)
    4. Would you want the Filter to start at the default possition (50%, no effect)?

I need YOU to help ME help YOU. haha. But seriously, this shouldn't be too hard if you don't have a problem working a little outside the box. Let me know.
    17" MBP, TP2, X1, MF Classic (soon to be custom), Custom VCI-100, Oxygen 25, Guitar Hero Guitar (inspired by DJTT!), MBox 3 (overkill, but swapping to Audio2)

Tech Mentor

Also, are you doing 1 encoder for each deck, or is it going to be based on deck focus?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JSM View Post
    SORRY JUST REALISED THIS SHOULD BE IN GENERAL NOT MAPPINGS.
    Moved. I'll try and look at the question when i get home later as well.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Thanks for the quick response.

First things ..I have an S4, however I was going to create a map for a little Faderfox DX2 I have doing nothing, if the encoders on that just can't do it (they just don't feel sensitive enough - that is they do jump beats but i can't get them to sync up with the filter) but that may be the same thing you described.

The encoder will not be doing anything else (yet .... )

As for modifiers, the S4 is currently in default mode but will no doubt be using Ean's S4 mapping in few weeks, the DX2 can change MIDI channel and has no other mapping on it yet. I may plan to add some modifiers to other encoders, but this effect is the most useful for me and takes priority.

The DX2 has 4 regular encoders and 4 clickable endless encoders (which i planned to use) so I will use one per deck.

Quite happy to have multiple mappings, i don't really get affected by load times on this laptop ..my backup system is a different matter (thats why its only backup .)

Loop lengths ideally would be from 2 beats down to 16th beat any less it sounds too harsh ....any more won't be required.

Filter is normally set at zero on the click (engaging the loop), decreasing the loop size incrementally to 16th beat at full HP filter (all the way right).

As i said, i got almost there, but i just can't get it smooth enough, when compared to doing it manually with the S4.

If this works it's part of a bigger project, remaking the Faderfox DX2 with large buttons and a new layout, to be used as a "super / combo effects unit" to support the S4 rather than loose functionality on it.

hope that helps.

Mark
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Moved. I'll try and look at the question when i get home later as well.
    thanks

very interested in this -- either on the s4 or on the x1 -- as i do this all the time manually, and would free me up to use that technique when mixing 4 decks much easier

-- would be sweet to see the x1 with each of the knobs corresponding to each deck (like in teh software) to do something like this

i might have a go at doing this myself, if i can muster up some motivation
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

Alright, if you only need from 2 down to 1/16, shouldn't be a problem. And Traktor doesn't technically have a HP filter. I'm assuming you're talking about the filter in the mixer section?... and when you say 0, that's straight up, 12 o'clock, or all the way left?

Tech Mentor

I THINK I GOT IT! Epiphany strikes and all cares of sensitivity go out the window.

Check out the video to see if that's what you want. Please note: I've made it VERY easy to change the rate (sensitivity) at which the filter and loop size is altered. (notes will be in the comment section of the final mapping.

http://youtu.be/5qPH7KnE0_Y

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast