First impression of the DJ, your intro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First impression of the DJ, your intro

Hey guys,

Tuesday I'm playing my first club gig. More on that here.

I've been breaking my head on which track I should play first. Because in my opinion, the first track will leave the first impression, and it might sound a little cliché, but it has to be love on first sight on the crowd's side.

I thought of a few but I'm not getting the "yes of course this one!" feeling.

Which tracks do you guys prefer to play first ?
    I'm looking in the progressive house genre, but why not turn this into a fun and interesting thread and share your favorite intro tracks !

kind regards
    dsmit
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Tech Mentor

I don't like to share this too often but... Lazy Rich - You Better wipe that up
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

if you are opening, which if it's your first gig, i'm assuming you are... the only way you will get another is if you dont play any bombs.

your job is to play background music for when people arrive, you can use any mixing trick you like, but as long as your mixing is clean you should be okay, but again... if you try to upstage the headliners, you wont get another gig. So forget about your first track, you should only be thinking of your eighth track and how you will get to it, then wind down for the next guy.

If you want a better set in the future, become friends with the promoter and show your skills another time away from the club... don't be fake, always be true to yourself, but know your place, and you will go far..
    Last edited by synthet1c; 11-19-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: poor grammer
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    if you are opening, which if it's your first gig, i'm assuming you are... the only way you will get another is if you dont play any bombs.

your job is to play background music for when people arrive, you can use any mixing trick you like, but as long as your mixing is clean you should be okay, but again... if you try to upstage the headliners, you wont get another gig. So forget about your first track, you should only be thinking of your eighth track and how you will get to it, then wind down for the next guy.

If you want a better set in the future, become friends with the promoter and show your skills another time away from the club... don't be fake, always be true to yourself, but know your place, and you will go far..
    Never thought of this, Best advice I think I've read to date.
    - 2011 13" MBP | Akai LPD8 | KRK MP5's | iPhone 4 TouchOSC Custom Map -
    - Traktor Duo 2 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | NI Audio 2 -

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

if you are opening, which if it's your first gig, i'm assuming you are... The only way you will get another is if you dont play any bombs.

Your job is to play background music for when people arrive, you can use any mixing trick you like, but as long as your mixing is clean you should be okay, but again... If you try to upstage the headliners, you wont get another gig. So forget about your first track, you should only be thinking of your eighth track and how you will get to it, then wind down for the next guy.

If you want a better set in the future, become friends with the promoter and show your skills another time away from the club... Don't be fake, always be true to yourself, but know your place, and you will go far..
    qft
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Spot on advice from synthet1c - also, find out who is playing after you, what they play etc so you can compliment their sound which helps get everybody built up and in the mood!

Though your advice is probably very true for opening DJs, it is not the same case here.
    I'm doing a DJ competetition, and I'm the first of 3 DJs. I have 90 mins to show what i've got. So it will be the best from start untill finish, never mind who comes next.
    See what I mean ? It's as if I were the head DJ of the night.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Tech Mentor

Check ou Otto Knows remix of 'hide and seek'

whoops, i didn't read your other post..

if your in a comp then yeah you should dominate start to finish, but 90mins is a long enough time to take the crowd up then down then back up again, try and find out what the guy before you plays and start there, no one likes to be jolted into a new sound (unless your really f@3kin good and can follow every track with something better, until you slow it down ready to take em out with your bomb then your epic close track. what i think i'm trying to say is it doesn't really matter where you start, only the where you finish, and leave them wanting more.

also dont play anything from your demo in the comp, it shows them that you pre-plan all your sets and are not versitile enough for residency.

good luck.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

If its a comp then thats a different story
    Well It depends if you want to kill it right from the start but I would probably start with an intro track since you have 90 min and not 30. I keep a playlist just for those. Here are a few prog tracks in there

depending on what order you go on in I would have at least 3-4 tracks prep'd incase they get played. You dont want to scramble last minute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISu7Y5JUSLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGs9DgFSzpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFtuVlUoYNA

How mainstream is the crowd?
    MPB - TP - TS Pro 2 - Audio 6 - Technics 1200mk2 - Xone 22 - xone53 - Kontrol X1 - Axiom 49 - M-audio C400

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast