Custom Mapping Services- Who would pay for it?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Custom Mapping Services- Who would pay for it?

So I've been here long enough to see that there are plenty of people out there that have grand visions for their controllers, but no idea where to start on making those visions a reality. Before I actually ask my question, I'd like to say that there are PLENTY of place to go for the knowledge of how to map yourself (Blogs, Studying other official mappings, Traktor Bible, etc.), and I'd highly recommend learning, as it opens up the possibilities to be virtually endless. However, there are still quite a bit of people that either don't want/have the time to do that themselves, or simply lack the technical side of things to do it.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoy challenges when it comes to making my controllers do ridiculous things in Traktor, and love a mapping for other peoples' visions... So my question is: Who would consider it a worthwhile investment to pay for custom mappings? There are obviously people that are willing to pay for mappings that they didn't even think of, as DJTT now sells their mappings for the S2, and soon, the S4. Imagine being able to custom tailor your own mapping, but have someone else do the actual programing side of it...

I'm interested to see what people think, as I've been doing plenty of mapping for other people and have gained a bit of a reputation (with local DJs) as the mapping guru. Everyone comes to me with questions of "Can my S4 do this?" and "If I want to create my own super combo, can you do that for me?". I spend quite a bit of time working on these dreams for them, and wonder if it's reasonable to charge a small price for my efforts. Are there people on the forum that would be willing to pay to have their own dream mapping made?...
    17" MBP, TP2, X1, MF Classic (soon to be custom), Custom VCI-100, Oxygen 25, Guitar Hero Guitar (inspired by DJTT!), MBox 3 (overkill, but swapping to Audio2)

Follow my Mod Projects and More on Facebook and Youtube

you'd have to be in line with Ean's price of $4.99 (£3).

but i guess a lot of people, even I have problems mapping from time to time (I've got an open question right now) and I have been mapping since DJ studio.

There's an immense amount of work to be a complete mapping with combo's etc. so i think it's fair (if the quality is high enough).
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

well i´m having conflicting feelings about paying fot it but i guess i´d pay for it.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

This guy does it in the UK: http://www.steven-james.com/

Ive met him a few times. Dunno how well he does though.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    This guy does it in the UK: http://www.steven-james.com/

Ive met him a few times. Dunno how well he does though.
    Quite the site, and he does beatgrids too....can he show up and run your gig for you too? haha But $15 for a 25-key keyboard?...I made one of those in 10 min. haha
    17" MBP, TP2, X1, MF Classic (soon to be custom), Custom VCI-100, Oxygen 25, Guitar Hero Guitar (inspired by DJTT!), MBox 3 (overkill, but swapping to Audio2)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JSM View Post
    you'd have to be in line with Ean's price of $4.99 (£3).

but i guess a lot of people, even I have problems mapping from time to time (I've got an open question right now) and I have been mapping since DJ studio.

There's an immense amount of work to be a complete mapping with combo's etc. so i think it's fair (if the quality is high enough).
    I would definitely keep in line with that, absolutely. I'm thinking more of doing things from scratch for people. (Your open question now being a prime example...don't worry, it's still pro-bono )That would probably be based more on my hourly effort.

yeah, it would be pretty cool, and i dont agree it would have to be like 5 bucks. a COMPLETELY custom mapping takes alot of time and effort and should be rewarded as such (based upon time / how custom the mapping is / if its made for the masses like eans s2+s4 maps)

but to answer your question? yeah i prob would, as backwards engineering something is the way i learn best, so it would be worth the investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_dB View Post
    ... So my question is: Who would consider it a worthwhile investment to pay for custom mappings? ...
    I would!
    I want full access of all 8 cue/loops in Traktor Pro with my MC6000.
    The current .tsi file from Denon, only supports 4.
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

Tech Mentor

Alright, it seems as though there's quite a bit of interest already, between the replies here and the slew of PMs I got, so I think I'm gonna go ahead with it. As far as money transfers go, does anybody know of or use a system other than paypal, or is that my best bet?

Paypal, I suppose, unless you want to set up a domain and accept Credit Cards.
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast