2 Questions about Traktor to Ableton with Timecode - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Handles both? Meaning you can attach a physical input to Jack?

I'm not sure why you'd do that…

Well with a physical input to jack, jack is then exactly like a "normal" soundcard, really like a centralized audio hub, so for example :
    jack audio in 1-2 = audio8 1-2
    jack audio in 3-4 = audio8 3-4
    jack audio out 1-2 = audio8 1-2
    etc...
    Plus the ability to route one program's audio to another (virtually), just like soundflower.
    But the thing is that a certain number of audio drivers ( i can only speak for mac ) can only be active for one program, and/or you cannot (usually) route virtual audio between 2 programs that are using the same soundcard.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Thank you guys for all your responses. Made me understand things allot better.

Well I have found my latency problem!
    It was Soundflower that created the sound. Still really dont know why exactly.
    I was about to upgrade to Snow Leopard and would have bought my macbook some 4gb to work with.
    Will buy it anyways later on but it has been fixed using JACKOSX again!!
    Took me over a week to reconfigure my setup but it works flawless now.
    So F... soundflower xD

Oh and I discovered a way to still use timecode vinyl when routing audio from Traktor to Ableton to external mixer! (smart mixing)
    I was fooling around with JACKOSX connections and I tried to use the audio4dj inputs 1/2 for recording my master2out but I did something (wrong?!) and suddenly Traktors timecode vinyl calibrators responded to the audio that I was about to send back in to Ableton for recording my sets.
    I was like wtf? So this is how Stephan Bodzin does his live sets!!
    I saw him a month ago at the Sugarfactory in Amsterdam during ADE and his "live set" was also routed from traktor to ableton. He used his famous lightsaber midicontroller that has to be connected to Ableton. I saw his screen and he was running Traktor and 2 cdj's for timecode control!

Anyways it is possible! Don't believe it?
    I tested it last night at my friends house with his turntables.
    Im trying to upload a vid on youtube now that shows it works.

http://youtu.be/yZmMiGLt82k

here is the short movie! ignore the audio because it's not from my macbook but from the computer my friends were using messing around with some vst's

You can see that my audio from Traktors deck A is going in Abletons Audio1 and sends it to Return A. Return A is set at external 1/2 out on the Audio4dj to the Xone.
    I can make a turorial about this if people want to, but only when enough people requests it. Or a djtechtools admin will :P

Im so happy with this because it will make me use timecode!!

Quote Originally Posted by oneapemob View Post
    Well with a physical input to jack, jack is then exactly like a "normal" soundcard, really like a centralized audio hub, so for example :
    jack audio in 1-2 = audio8 1-2
    jack audio in 3-4 = audio8 3-4
    jack audio out 1-2 = audio8 1-2
    etc...
    Plus the ability to route one program's audio to another (virtually), just like soundflower.
    But the thing is that a certain number of audio drivers ( i can only speak for mac ) can only be active for one program, and/or you cannot (usually) route virtual audio between 2 programs that are using the same soundcard.
    Lol, I didnt even read this. I should have because this is what I did to get the timecode working.
    You are also right about that you can only use 1 program each soundcard.
    I tried this too for recording in Audicity with the audio4dj selected as input from my master2out but all I got is a really strange noise trough the audio that is playing.
    Nuuver

Interesting…that's a very good reason to look into Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddiz
    Im so happy with this because it will make me use timecode!!
    Whoa, there!!!

Are you saying you can use timecode vinyl, with the audio from Traktor being sync'd to Lives master tempo? (Or Live's master tempo being sync'd to Traktors audio, more like...)

I hope to GOD that's what you're saying... :eek:
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Interesting…that's a very good reason to look into Jack.
    It is! The cool thing about JACKOSX, you can route endlessly. Even the same signal thats coming in to mutiple programs/channels.
    Soundflower sucks (I can only speak for mac tough), because it gave me 3 months on latency and a terrible headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Whoa, there!!!

Are you saying you can use timecode vinyl, with the audio from Traktor being sync'd to Lives master tempo? (Or Live's master tempo being sync'd to Traktors audio, more like...)

I hope to GOD that's what you're saying... :eek:
    Yes I am saying that! xD
    Im using Ableton for fx so I need my Ableton being synced with the clock and audio that Traktor is sending into Ableton for delay and echo stuff..
    You know how timecode responses in tempo depending on your turntable. (if you have Technics turntables you should be fine)
    It does NOT give a steady bpm all the time. For instance 127bpm in Traktor will be 127.01 /02 or 126.98/99 in Ableton. But when you change the master tempo of the deck you are playing, Traktor will sync this to Ableton CONSTANTLY! Pretty cool feature!

I didnt have much time to test the full potential of this because I did not test my FX rack in Ableton when I hooked up the turntables.
    It was only a test to get the timecode working (and it did!) but im not 100% sure if the tempo's are being synced all the time when u have crappy turntables.. 5 min ago I tested this without timecode vinyls/turntables but using the same audio/clock routing and I changed the tempo of the track playing on deck A and Ableton did catch up with that tempo!

Here you see it working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZmMi...ature=youtu.be

(ps does NI even know about this smart mixing and timecode vinyl? I couldnt find anything on the web related to this.. I think that Stephan Bodzin is using it like this too... I can't be otherwise!)
    Last edited by maddiz; 12-07-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    Nuuver

Tech Wizard

I love Jack, I use it on Windows to do some over the top experimental routings of timecode source audio before routing it into VDJ as a control. Jack lets me send the timecode audio to multiple different programs at once before merging them back down to send as the control source for VDJ. This way I can control 2 virtual decks with one movement on one deck (scratching boths decks exactly in sync with each other) as well as apply a heap of effects to the timecode audio. Jack is an incredibly versatile program.

Quote Originally Posted by WEEDNIRVANA View Post
    I love Jack, I use it on Windows to do some over the top experimental routings of timecode source audio before routing it into VDJ as a control. Jack lets me send the timecode audio to multiple different programs at once before merging them back down to send as the control source for VDJ. This way I can control 2 virtual decks with one movement on one deck (scratching boths decks exactly in sync with each other) as well as apply a heap of effects to the timecode audio. Jack is an incredibly versatile program.
    woah thats even more complex. so you control 2 virtual decks with 1 cdj/turntable with a timecode cd/vinyl?

(how did you compile the installer of JACKOSX for windows? and what Windows do you use?)
    Nuuver

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast