Aspiring dj in need of assistance
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Aspiring dj in need of assistance

Ok so Xmas is coming up. And literally, all I want is a dj controller with a built in soundcard. Like the vci 100 se. Well father doesn't like that. I'm in college and he thinks I will get distracted from my studies. I offered some of my own money from my bank account as an add on because most of our Xmas gifts add up to around $200. My dad is acting like I'm asking him to to feed sugar cookies to kids with diabetes. Because of me having ADHD I get distracted easily and almost flunked out of college. He thinks I didn't learn my lession and thinks it will happen again. Right now I'm running on a piece of crap Acer laptop and virtual dj. Can someone help me try to convince him and change his mind?

Tech Mentor

your mad because your dad doesnt want to buy you the christmas gift you want?
    maybe you will get a lump of coal. get a job to buy dj gear, or do gigs and reinvest the money

Parents are an immovable object when it comes to that kind of stuff. Honestly, if you don't know how to change his mind, I doubt any of us know how.

The only way you could potentially talk to him about it that I see, is coming up with some form of a business plan. Showing him that it's a proactive hobby that will help get you money and bitches.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Though I must admit you are in an unpleasant situation, I will say what I honestly think, and this might even be on behalf of many others on DJTT as well.

This is a place where we discuss controllerism, MODs, mappings, how-to's, software, hardware, production, pretty much anything that has to do with digital and non digital DJing, production, etc.

However, I don't think many of use can help you with your personal problems.

If you want to get into this, it will need commitment, self discipline, and a LOT of time practicing to learn the basics of the art.

Maybe you should listen to your dad and realise you don't have time for this, or that you have other priorities. He wants the best for you, so you might just believe him. I know my dad is always right when talking about such cases.

I know it isn't the answer you expected, but at least this answer is honest.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Sometimes the parents are really boring ! the mine would not like to payed my first mixer beacause it's too expencive ...

Tell him that you mix only in week end and only if you have finish to learn your lessons , he cannot refuse if its your passion , or get good mark at school for prove that you really want to mix !

Trust me bro i have more than dedication in my heart. I have been looking at gear, what their pros and cons are, and what my style of djing is. The only thing standing in my way is the man who has the money in my bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by d.julius View Post
    Sometimes the parents are really boring ! the mine would not like to payed my first mixer beacause it's too expencive ...

Tell him that you mix only in week end and only if you have finish to learn your lessons , he cannot refuse if its your passion , or get good mark at school for prove that you really want to mix !
    Ya but i have over 2000 bucks in my bank account and i want either a kontrol s4/s2 or a vci 100 se (i can put in the arcade buttons myself.) I dont control my money he does.

How old are you?
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadimusMaximus View Post
    I'm in college and he thinks I will get distracted from my studies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadimusMaximus View Post
    Because of me having ADHD I get distracted easily
    Well, he has a point and to be honest you have just admitted that he's right.

When i was 12 i wanted and electric guitar, my parents said no cus i was not concentrating at school.
    My dad went on a Uni course and was away for a few months. In that time i just bugged the living daylights out of my mum (Simpsons style).
    She caved and i was bought the guitar.
    My dad went mental when he found out.

I pretty much gave up on education from that day. Fucked a promising High School record and left with terrible grades. Missed college to get a job so i could buy FX pedals and spent the rest of my 20s and 30s in bands and DJing.

I only went back to University to do my degree when id finally had enuff of being in bands.

I have been lucky to be able to live off playing music all my life.

The moral of this story is... erm...um maybe hes right, maybe you are.

Just make your own bloody mind up and get on with it

Write a long ass essay explaining to yOur dad the pros of getting this stuff and maybe come to some sort of agreement that you will maintain your marks and if they go down he reserves the right to take your shit. And explain that you can make money once your good at it. And most importantely you can get hot bitches. That part is key.

Goodluck

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast