Hearing Damage as a DJ
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Hearing Damage as a DJ

I couldn't help but notice that my sense of hearing has diminished somewhat as a result of constantly listening to loud music. It began as a young child listening to rock n roll, progressing to heavy metal in my teens, and finally techno and house as an adult.

As a full time DJ and producer, how do you put up with the noise withstanding minimal damage to your ears? Do you wear earplugs at shows/gigs? I couldn't see myself wearing ear plugs at home, but at shows it is understandable due to the high decibel output.

I have heard from others that it is actually the high end frequencies that damage the ears rather than the low. Is that true?

Would listening to music at a moderate level while DJing damage the ears over a sustained amount of time?

I am becoming worried about my hearing :\

What's your take on the issue?

Tech Guru

After a certain amount of time it will definitely impact your hearing, I know mstrkrft uses ear plugs when they do anything and I actually saw that in one of those "whats in your dj bag" interviews with ean

"Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

I where plugs to shows and gigs. Sometimes monitors are right behind my head and just blasting. Its something I always have with me when I gig or go out to clubs.

Tech Mentor

I haven't always owned plugs and sometimes even left them in my bag and not bothered using them. However i try to remember to use them and definitely where them if i feel my ears hurting or i struggle to hear particular sounds.

I find i get bad ear wax build up. So much i can often wake up in the morning and find an ear or two almost/fully blocked up. To stop this i have to get my ears syringed at least every 8 months really. I don't know if this is to do with loud music or not but it's only ever been a problem after about 3 years of Dj'ing and about 5 years of clubbing. I'd be interested if anyone else suffers like i do tbh
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

enjoy that ringing in your ears, its the last time ever you will hear that frequency
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    enjoy that ringing in your ears, its the last time ever you will hear that frequency
    Someone's in a melodramatic mood

But yeah, earplugs are your friend, I try to always use them when I go to raves and other parties with loud music.

When listening to music by yourself, try to turn it down, I've found that "weaning" myself off loud music in my earphones (as in, off my iPod, not when cueing) helped me get rid off my "hearing fatigue". Once you've gotten used to listening at music on a lower volume, you won't really notice the difference (as long as you don't turn it up again obviously).
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tinnitus.....

Got it....but had it before I got into music. (ear issues as a kid)

So used to it over the years, but not great when you have never had it before.

Ear Plugs.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

i sometimes wake up with my right ear deaf for a while til later in the day when it finally pops lol

+1 on the plugs

I always have a set in my wallet, and use them at almost every gig/party I go to or play at.

I've got friends with tinnitus and I never want it.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast