Twitch + K2 vs. S4 vs. VCI-400
    Tech Mentor

Default Twitch + K2 vs. S4 vs. VCI-400

Which future purchase has the better value? Looking to upgrade come January-ish.

I personally am leaning towards the Twitch + K2 option, mainly because I think the K2 is a hugely versatile piece of equipment that I can hopefully incorporate into my Ableton production set up as well. I use TP2 for DJing, and I know of Twitch's shortcomings with Traktor, but I figure the K2 can pick up the slack with some creative mapping.

One downside will be the lack of TechTools support, which I've relied heavily on as current owner of the 100se. With the S4 receiving a special mapping soon, and the 400 being the next SE controller from DJTT, I'm afraid I'll feel left out haha.

What are your thoughts on these potential controllers? Which purchase is more valuable considering I already own TP2? Is the 400SE edition release date going to be too far off from January to even be in consideration? Does the Twitch + K2 setup seem like a good idea to you?

I'd wait till NAMM before making any major purchase decisions if you are going to wait till january anyway, but right now you can't go past the vci-400. In terms of mapping support, there will be an explosion when it is fully released worldwide.

But keep in mind that vestax have set the new standard in the future of controllers, wait and see what companies take on the challenge of beating it.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Twitch for fun, S4 if your serious, and VCI-400 for everything if you can wait?
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Tech Mentor

Any word on a potential release date for the DJTT VCI-400?

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    What are you looking to get out of ur setup? Do u need jogwheels?

Without knowing more about your style - id give a blind vote to the S4. Its integration with TP2 is just so tight and its good quality. If u dont want to do alot of customization, this may be the choice for u. DJTT mapping is a nice bonus.

The twitch is kind of a specialty controller - i wouldnt go with it for a main controller unless i was married to itch. If u like the idea of some of its 'blank canvas' controls then I think ud be better off with the vci-400 tho I'd wait a lil while just to make sure that there are no problems once ppl get using them for a bit. Seems like they are now out in Europe so more info should start coming out.

I own the twitch but I only have it for when I travel so I have something to mess with. Good + portable + gives me the basics I need. But wouldnt be my main setup with traktor thats for sure.

If I took a guess at what you were after, I think u want something thats very customizable, right? If so, id vote for vci400 granted theres no problems that come to light after ppl get some time on them. Seems like a mappers dream come true.
    +1

Tech Mentor

All the bases have been covered but my advice would definitely be to wait til NAMM drops the new gear, or until the VCI-400 gets released. If it has scratch support it will be unstoppable.

The VCI-400 is out now someplaces in the UK. it won't be long.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Ill bet this doesnt get certification either.. NI will really show their shitty scratch certification ethics if this controller doesnt get it.. Itll basically prove that they are trying to control sales of certain products (+ I dunno why pioneer is getting such special treatment from them - does pioneer have a stake in NI or something?).

Im still in awe that the djm900 gets certified but db4 doesnt. djm900 has NO way of even sync'ing its clock properly to traktor so it shouldnt even be regular certified (as opposed to scratch certified).
    I imagine this to be the case as well. Especially since the VCI-400 is so close in form and function to the S4 that scratch certifying it could and would cannibalize sales from NI hardware. Its a bummer too because my only real complaint about the S4 is lack of pro built quality.

Tech Student

The VCI 400 is out in germany. Got mine yesterday ;-) Jippieyeahh.
    Reatil price ist 799 Euro, I was able to get mine for 671 Euro.

There are enough units in the store (I have seen charges of 50pcs).

cu
    DJ YOSH

Jack Bastard

Got my 400 yesterday too!

It's an amazing controller.