Management
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Management

Tech Wizard

Default Management

Hey guys,

I have kinda an odd question, but i can't seem to find an answer for it. I watched few of avicii's interviews where he says that his manager (Ash Pournouri) does all the promoting, gig search etc...and avicii just dj's and makes music. My question is the following, how did he get a manager? Do you get a manager, when you sign with a label ?

Thank you for your time!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by drevnir View Post
    Hey guys,

I have kinda an odd question, but i can't seem to find an answer for it. I watched few of avicii's interviews where he says that his manager (Ash Pournouri) does all the promoting, gig search etc...and avicii just dj's and makes music. My question is the following, how did he get a manager? Do you get a manager, when you sign with a label ?

Thank you for your time!
    You get a manager when you can afford to pay him

Quote Originally Posted by LaOnda View Post
    You get a manager when you can afford to pay him
    /thread.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

My agent approached me. It was a complete fluke actually. I was just doing my thing at a festival and met me backstage. She then invited me to at an afterparty in a hotel. I only went 'cause she was smokin' hot. How could I refuse. I woke up in her room the next morning (nothing happend there were a few people there) and she offered to buy breakfast. Long story short... I signed with her that afternoon. There were a few regrets, but all-in-all... it was well worth it.

there's plenty of agencies and management companies out there. most will work for a percentage of your income... however when you are just starting out as a dj, i wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to start on a set monthly fee/retainer until they start getting you a constant amount of paying gigs.

I know mates of mine that went to the UK, started DJing and signed up with a promotional company that specializes in finding DJ's gigs.

He lived off that for 2 years....and basically missioned around the UK nicely.

Here in CT, I am part of a promotions company that is supposed to source us gigs, but have not done SHIT for me besides my NYE gig beginning of this year.

And even then, they wanted 20%.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx View Post
    My agent approached me. It was a complete fluke actually. I was just doing my thing at a festival and met me backstage. She then invited me to at an afterparty in a hotel. I only went 'cause she was smokin' hot. How could I refuse. I woke up in her room the next morning (nothing happend there were a few people there) and she offered to buy breakfast. Long story short... I signed with her that afternoon. There were a few regrets, but all-in-all... it was well worth it.
    What are the regrets?
    Did you ever get some special services of her?
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    What are the regrets?
    Did you ever get some special services of her?
    You do set your boundaries with a woman like that and learn to respect eachother and the things you want to accomplish. But there's nothing wrong with flirting. She did introduce me to my wife though.

With the regrets... It seemed like I was being taken advantage of, and felt like I was making no money out of the deal. 1/3 of everything I made was hers. Plus, I had to pay my own airfare. I was lucky to get 3 gigs a year.
    I had to live in a shithole apartment, had to sell my gear, just to eat (regret #1). (Kept my records though and played them at the public library). Getting evicted for not being able to pay rent and staying at the Y (regret #2). People steal your shoes when you're sleeping there.

It wasn't until after I expressed (yelled) my concerns she let me see the business side of things. 33% was wellworth what I was paying her for. Alot of backroom wheeling and deeling happens and I'm Double-D sure her looks helped sway some stubborn people. Funny to watch actually. She did protect me from the bullshit that comes with the entertainment business too. Some people will take advantage of you when they can.

She did let me stay at her place, but I had earn my keep while I was there. I just couldn't squat there. I pretty much had to be her lap dog. I guess in a way it prepared me for marriage. (regret #3 ... LOL j/k). But while staying at her place it allowed me to stay true to the music and not the business. I simply had to trust what she was doing for me.

After time the gigs became more frequent.

Tech Wizard

Very interesting replies guys, thank you very much.

So there is 2 choices for a producer/dj to get a manager, s/he approaches you after she sees you perform or you hire your own through multiple agencies. So it would be okay, if for example, I sent my best work to few agencies and see what they say ?
    Also, if you get signed with a label, do they provide a manager or it will be on you ?

Thank you for your time!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx View Post
    You do set your boundaries with a woman like that and learn to respect eachother and the things you want to accomplish. But there's nothing wrong with flirting. She did introduce me to my wife though.

With the regrets... It seemed like I was being taken advantage of, and felt like I was making no money out of the deal. 1/3 of everything I made was hers. Plus, I had to pay my own airfare. I was lucky to get 3 gigs a year.
    I had to live in a shithole apartment, had to sell my gear, just to eat (regret #1). (Kept my records though and played them at the public library). Getting evicted for not being able to pay rent and staying at the Y (regret #2). People steal your shoes when you're sleeping there.

It wasn't until after I expressed (yelled) my concerns she let me see the business side of things. 33% was wellworth what I was paying her for. Alot of backroom wheeling and deeling happens and I'm Double-D sure her looks helped sway some stubborn people. Funny to watch actually. She did protect me from the bullshit that comes with the entertainment business too. Some people will take advantage of you when they can.

She did let me stay at her place, but I had earn my keep while I was there. I just couldn't squat there. I pretty much had to be her lap dog. I guess in a way it prepared me for marriage. (regret #3 ... LOL j/k). But while staying at her place it allowed me to stay true to the music and not the business. I simply had to trust what she was doing for me.

After time the gigs became more frequent.

Damn that's real dedication right there.
    15 inch macbook pro - Traktor Kontrol S2 - Stanton T-60's - Traktor Audio 10
    I'm Dj Kave Check me out : )
    Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/djkave
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/djkavex Fan Page : )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast