Management - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Management

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by drevnir View Post
    Very interesting replies guys, thank you very much.

So there is 2 choices for a producer/dj to get a manager, s/he approaches you after she sees you perform or you hire your own through multiple agencies. So it would be okay, if for example, I sent my best work to few agencies and see what they say ?
    Also, if you get signed with a label, do they provide a manager or it will be on you ?

Thank you for your time!
    I think the more you put yourself out there the more results you will get, that's for sure. Do all you can to get your stuff out there. With the net, it's considerably easier to send your stuff electronically. But you have to set yourself apart from everyother guy/gal doing the same you are. There are more and more DJ's/Producers everyday it seems. I'm not sure how you go about getting your work heard.

It's much easier to approach other DJ's and find out who they are with becuase they can actually hear you play. I'd say keep your eyes and ears open for those conversations happening in the background. I found staying in the same hotel as the headliner or event coordinator can increase your chances.

I was never able to sign with a label, but I from what I understand you don't need a manager for that. They buy the rights to your track, promote and distribute it and you collect a royalty... if there is any.

DO NOT RESPOND TO DANI CORTESE.

Tip #1.

DO NOT PAY THEM AN ACTUAL HOURLY/MONTHLY RATE.

Tip #2.

Dani 'herself' has emailed me ridiculous amounts of times this last year wanting to represent me, and she violated the major tip #2 - do NOT pay your agent/manager in a traditional worker/wage method. Agents SHOULD take a %. While it sucks seeing your $100 cash out after tab come down to $75, that means you do not need to worry about paying them, and it gives them more incentive to actually help you out.

Lately these scheisters have been emailing every indie EDM DJ on earth saying they can score big festies if you just pay them $400 a month...you might as well just buy some new gear.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx View Post
    You do set your boundaries with a woman like that and learn to respect eachother and the things you want to accomplish. But there's nothing wrong with flirting. She did introduce me to my wife though.

With the regrets... It seemed like I was being taken advantage of, and felt like I was making no money out of the deal. 1/3 of everything I made was hers. Plus, I had to pay my own airfare. I was lucky to get 3 gigs a year.
    I had to live in a shithole apartment, had to sell my gear, just to eat (regret #1). (Kept my records though and played them at the public library). Getting evicted for not being able to pay rent and staying at the Y (regret #2). People steal your shoes when you're sleeping there.

It wasn't until after I expressed (yelled) my concerns she let me see the business side of things. 33% was wellworth what I was paying her for. Alot of backroom wheeling and deeling happens and I'm Double-D sure her looks helped sway some stubborn people. Funny to watch actually. She did protect me from the bullshit that comes with the entertainment business too. Some people will take advantage of you when they can.

She did let me stay at her place, but I had earn my keep while I was there. I just couldn't squat there. I pretty much had to be her lap dog. I guess in a way it prepared me for marriage. (regret #3 ... LOL j/k). But while staying at her place it allowed me to stay true to the music and not the business. I simply had to trust what she was doing for me.

After time the gigs became more frequent.
    I swear this kind of story you hear on a biography of some famous producer/dj....I gave my life to music and look where it got me type thing....big props to you cause wow not everyone can be this optimistic as this!!!

Tech Wizard

@Rexx: Thx for the tips greatly appreciated, i was a bit confused about the whole business side of music, but now I think i understand it more clearly.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by drevnir View Post
    @Rexx: Thx for the tips greatly appreciated, i was a bit confused about the whole business side of music, but now I think i understand it more clearly.
    Hey no prob! I'd hate for anyone to go through what I went through. It seems like a glamourous life watching the famous. Mine certainly wasn't and still isn't.

I did what I did to survive.

I should have stayed in school though... LOL!!!

Though there is a book you can read, unrelated to DJing. It's called the "48 Laws of Power". It has some historical/factual scenarios of politics. It helped me be cautious of what kind of people are out there and how you can defend yourself. You can even use it to some advantage when you negotiate your contract or even devise a strategy in what you want to accomplish.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx View Post
    Hey no prob! I'd hate for anyone to go through what I went through. It seems like a glamourous life watching the famous. Mine certainly wasn't and still isn't.

I did what I did to survive.

I should have stayed in school though... LOL!!!

Though there is a book you can read, unrelated to DJing. It's called the "48 Laws of Power". It has some historical/factual scenarios of politics. It helped me be cautious of what kind of people are out there and how you can defend yourself. You can even use it to some advantage when you negotiate your contract or even devise a strategy in what you want to accomplish.
    Lol yeah it's good to have a bach. just in case I agree....My major is psych so I kinda know how to read people etc, however I love this kinds of books so I will definitely check it out, thank you No did you just clarified and answered my question but also gave me a new read. DJTT gotta love ya )

Thx again Rexx!

In my honest opinion, anyone expecting to get any representation without some serious radio/beatport hits under their belt better get back to 1998.

Just look at any DJ touring today: Get production chops, make awesome music/remixes, get noticed, get signed on shit label, get fans, THEN you might get representation to tour the planet and play for the girls in the bikinis and the free beer(as long as you hold the bottle up to your face).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12