Traktor Gain Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Traktor Gain Question

so recently i've been mixing with limiter and auto gain off... and -10 on master/main gain.

my question is, is it ok if the fader channel meters are hitting red but the master/main gain meter isnt? or should i be keeping the channel fader meters out of the red completely? I notice that a track "sometimes" would be hitting the red while playing in the middle of the track every now and then.

I ask because I want the track to be at its highest gain for quality but out of red due to clipping.

Is it better to keep autogain and limiter on?

Tech Mentor

You want both ends to not be hitting red, Red means your clipping your music, Even if you don't notice it you will be either overdriving or cutting precious sound quality.

Tech Mentor

ok so not even the channel faders can hit red AT ALL?

i notice some songs are ok but when sometimes u get to the middle of the track, it would hit it once....i'll keep track and make sure they never hit.

now with you guys' experience, does the autogain usually put too much gain or too little when its incorrect?
    Last edited by 123xyz; 11-22-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Autogain is random, I turned it off so I could have more control. You can gauge most of it from the waveform anyway. I'm getting a more precise volume level this way.

As far as hitting the red goes, it doesnt matter.

By that I mean its ok to go 1 or 2 bars into the red, dont worry about that. Every mixer has headroom and you should use some of this headroom. I always aim to have my tunes peaking at 1 in the red.

Now what you shouldnt do is beat the shit out of the mixer and light up all those red LED's. But you already knew that.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

if the gain on the track is high, is it ok to not go full all the way with the channel fader or is it better to run the channel fader fully up and control the gain down in order to get the best out of the track?

Quote Originally Posted by 123xyz View Post
    if the gain on the track is high, is it ok to not go full all the way with the channel fader or is it better to run the channel fader fully up and control the gain down in order to get the best out of the track?
    Set the "correct" levels with the gain knobs, and live the faders at max, then you can use the faders creatively (such as slowly fading in one track, or do an "echo scratch" or whatever you feel like).
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    Set the "correct" levels with the gain knobs, and live the faders at max, then you can use the faders creatively (such as slowly fading in one track, or do an "echo scratch" or whatever you feel like).
    weird thing happened today when i was mixing. the channel meters were correct, all blue not even 1 red, but as i was bringing in the channel fader fully up, the sound was starting to distort wtf? master/main gain was not red either.
    Last edited by 123xyz; 11-25-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Thats your amp, or your speakers. Either your amp is too loud or your speakers cant handle what your amp is putting out
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Limiter=Off
    Auto Gain=Off
    Ears=On
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    Limiter=Off
    Auto Gain=Off
    Ears=On

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast