What Gear Should I Get Next?
    Tech Wizard

Default What Gear Should I Get Next?

Okay so i bought the Numark Mixtrack with the DJ IO sound card, and i have speakers and headphones set up. My question is what type of gear shoudl i buy next? I play house, dubstep, and pop music. Should I get the Midi-Fighter? Or a drumpad? Or Numark Total Control? Not just the ones i listed but whats reccomended with the Mixtrack?? Suggestions and why please!

Tech Mentor

Once you master using the gear that you have, I would sell your Mixtrack and the Sound Card and buy yourself a controller with a built-in soundcard and more features. If you are using Traktor, the S2 or S4 would be a good choice, depending on whether or not you want to be using 2 decks or 4 decks. If you using Serato, the NS6 is a great controller for ITCH and the Novation Twitch looks like a ton of fun as well.

The Mixtrack is a good entry level controller, but seriously lacks some of the features of the more expensive all-in-one controllers. Most people will probably tell you the same, get good with what you have, and then you will understand what it is that you need based on your mixing style. You will learn what it is you need and what it is you DON'T need in a controller. I feel like its such a common mistake for some beginners to buy TOO MUCH gear right away only to have a vast majority of its features go unused. Right now, since you are just starting out, there really isnt any need for any of the things you listed, nor anything else for that matter. Learn to use the EQs and the two decks you have to create nice continuous & flowing mixes.

Good luck, and most of all have fun! Like I said, I know a lot of people who have started on Mixtrack's or Mixtrack Pro's and have progressed nicely.

Tech Wizard

thank you, that was a great answer!

Tech Wizard

wait also, i am using the free version of virtual dj, should i keep using this or use traktor or serato?

Tech Mentor

Personally, I prefer Traktor. For the kind of stuff you are mixing, I would say Traktor is going to give you more versatility. I believe NI is currently doing free upgrades to Traktor Pro 2 with their audio interfaces, so maybe one of those would be a worthwhile purchase for you. Some people DO really like Virtual DJ, however for me, I can't stand the GUI and it just seems cheap compared to Traktor.

Didn't your Mixtrack come with the Full Version of VDJ? Or even Traktor LE?

Tech Wizard

It came with virtual DJ, it took me the longest time just to save up for the mixtrack (im only 16), so i used a you know what to get Traktor Pro for fr33, sorry dont want to gt banned or anything. until i get enough money i cant buy it the legit way. and im having trouble mapping the mxtrack to traktor pro.