Audio Interface? Fast Track Pro?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Audio Interface? Fast Track Pro?

So i'm having a hard time with the latency im getting from the MPD32 connected directly via USB. I'm looking for a audio interface for 1. Using the MPD32 with Ableton for production and 2. Connect turntables to laptop. Will the Fast Track Pro work for me? Theres one on Craigslist for $100 and i'm tempted to grab it.

Thanks!
    -Dude

Tech Student

No?

Fast Track Pro is not a solution to anything, it is a poorly-engineered piece of junk.
    Firsthand experience, multiple units.
    M-audio is denying it.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Mentor

Ditto... Two different units that output different volumes on different channels without reason. It was a nightmare for djing.

Tech Mentor

...mines fine
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

an audiointerface is a piece of hardware where i would never try to save some money on. its just not funny to spend 1-200€ and be not satisfied by the sound and have a piece of hardware in your room no one wants to buy from you ;o)

I'm not sure about that running the MPD32 MIDI into a soundcard's MIDI interface and then through USB will lower your latency either.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by ToS View Post
    Fast Track Pro is not a solution to anything, it is a poorly-engineered piece of junk.
    Firsthand experience, multiple units.
    M-audio is denying it.
    I completely disagree with you, I had one it was wonderful. The only reason I don't have it now is I swapped it for a Audio4DJ as I needed Timecode. The guy who swapped with me uses it for all his gigs without a problem, and he's is not a computer literate person whatsoever (quite the opposite really)

It's like anything you buy and use, set it up correctly and it will work well.

If you are going to use something like Ableton /Logic / Fruityloops as well as Traktor is ideal because of the High Z inputs for guitar/microphones etc.

EDIT .... forgot to add.

It has two types of input, phono/line and spdif ... you can only connect one turntable directly, but i also bought at a later date a phono-spdif converter from amazon to connect a second.

IT WILL NOT DO TIMECODE IN TRAKTOR (the videos on youtube show the cracked/pirated copy being used - something I would not recommend at all)
    Last edited by JSM; 11-25-2011 at 05:23 AM.
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

in the end, learning the know how behind the judgement of "how good" a piece of hard or software will fit your requirements is something you should do for yourself.

otherwise you will spend money on equipment some people at the internet suggested to you and you don't know why you believe them because you cannot judge our know how

maybee you're lucky and we suggest the right things to you, but you'll never know until you know ^^

@JSM, you were lucky and I'm glad that you were.
    But don't do this:

Quote Originally Posted by JSM View Post
    It's like anything you buy and use, set it up correctly and it will work well.
    I KNOW how to set up both software and hardware to have maximum performance. And this WAS NOT relate to performance.

The M-Audio Fast Crap Pro unit has a problem with decoupling it's USB data lines from laptop. When it's audio I/O receives DC offset, it affects the data lines and interrupts the packet flow which in turn is reproduced as disconnected unit or loud audible noise.

I have done extensive research on how to remedy this problem and had some luck with this circuit:
    Attachment 6695
    Some unit owners haven't been this lucky tho. For example, guy named Al Taylor sent me a document (that I'm linking here), which goes into detail how to actually solve this problem.

Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast