Tuition Fee's!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuition Fee's!

Tech Wizard

Default Tuition Fees!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6273959.stm

This is disgusting untill a few years ago no-one paid tuition fee's and now everyone has to pay a basic level but if you don't go into a decent paid job the debt will hang round you like a bad smell for years. Now they want to raise them? I'm on a science based degree and if the fee's are going to be raised to £6000 a year I probably wouldn't have done my course. My little sisters coming to uni this year and I don't think she'd go if the costs were raised. Why can we pay bail out big buisness and not educate the next generation?

Rant over sorry.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 03-18-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Traktor Pro, Live 7
    Vaio NR10E/S 1.46GHz, 3GB, 160GB HD,
    Echo Audiofire 2, KRK RP6
    Behringer DDM 4000, VCI 100 FW1.3

another step towards police-state
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Mentor

wait, is this per class or per year?
    it its per year... hell, i have friends who are in their mid 30s that are still paying off their loans, especially those with higher then bachelors degrees.
    i mean it sucks... but its the name of the game.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    another step towards police-state
    What the hell do you mean by that?

Education costs, if you are doing a science or engineering based degree that means anything your school needs a fantastic amount of equipment, all of which costs shit loads.

Does your government provide a loan system for students?

We pay fee's, which are about half the actual cost, the gov subsidises the rest, and we get a interest free loan for living costs and course costs.

Yet still people bitch because our parents all got free uni education...

im drunk. and wat i said was dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

I'm sure they'll do what they've done here in the USA. Tuition raises every year by a few percentage points. Once they've started to charge, it'll keep going up. The only time that doesn't happen is when tuition is free because %2 increase on $0 is still $0.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Tech Mentor

the thing that makes me angry is when 30 years ago it was $3000 for 4 years of college (tuition, books, room and board) and now $3000 barely pays for books.

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    the thing that makes me angry is when 30 years ago it was $3000 for 4 years of college (tuition, books, room and board) and now $3000 barely pays for books.
    You can't compare it like that, since the value of the money has changed dramatically over the years. Checked it with few calculators, that $3000 from 1977 would be $10200 in 2007. Meaning things priced $3000 in 1977 would be equally cheap/expensive if you could get them for $10200 couple years back.

But I guess that $10200 doesn't cover the 4 years of college either, eh? I'm lucky to have free education. And government gives you support + backs up for small loan for basic living. Not much, but you can live with it.
    Last edited by Aanrii; 03-18-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Free education for the masses i say - education shouldnt be only for those that have money. The more educated people are, the more money they make, the more money they make, the more tax they pay - so the government is gonna get the money back for paying for peoples education either way.

The problem is the more educated people are the harder they are to control :\

Tech Wizard

More of the point that bugs me is that it didn't cost anything for university a decade ago, now we have to pay for it and the summer before i started they doubled the interest we pay from day 0 from 2.2% to 4% thats now 8 times the base rate! It's awful anyway we've got a protest at uni after my lecture so better go and get my moneys worth.
    Traktor Pro, Live 7
    Vaio NR10E/S 1.46GHz, 3GB, 160GB HD,
    Echo Audiofire 2, KRK RP6
    Behringer DDM 4000, VCI 100 FW1.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast