dj contests
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dj contests

Tech Convert

Default dj contests

hi!

i'm thinking of sending a set of mine into a online dj contest. below some sets of other dj's I read : '' mixed with cd- players, NO COMPUTER SHIZZLE !!''.
    Now I don't know anymore if i'm gonna send mine in because it is made with traktor... what u guys think about this?

grts

let them say what they want, all you can do a submit a mix and show them your dj skills on midi.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

As much as it's dishonest, how would they know, exactly, if you did it with the cleverly worded "COMPUTER SHIZZLE"?

Just submit it and if you win then rub it in their faces. Ughhhhhh!!!
    Last edited by Lambox; 03-17-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

What kind of Competition uses the phrase "COMPUTER SHIZZLE"
    One run by a bunch of numb-nuts id say.

The problem is that people on cdjs or vinyl arnt going to be able to compete with someone making a studio set within ableton that uses 45 million tunes in 20 min all masterfully put together and they need to be able to compare "apples to apples" not "apples to oranges".

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    What kind of Competition uses the phrase "COMPUTER SHIZZLE"
    One run by a bunch of numb-nuts id say.
    I concur.

Tech Wizard

don't enter. the rules specifically say you can't.

if you did enter and it was revealed later on you did the set on the computer then you would be disqualified and possibly get a bad name for yourself.

the only way in my opinion to survive as a software dj is to be non-confrontational and be completely upfront and open about it. we face a lot of criticism and general contempt so i find being very honest and conceding that there is a lot more skill in certain aspects of vinyl/cd based mixing but try to promote the possibilities of software is the best way.

if certain people don't want to have anything to do with it then obviously its disappointing but they have good grounds for doing so. (dont want to open up the grand debate yet again but you have to admit that anti-software people do have some valid points)

Tech Wizard

if I'm reading the original post correctly it's the other DJs who are saying that they haven't used "computer shizzle" (brilliant phrase, must remember to use it more often :-)) not the organisers. In which case an email to clarify with the judges whether they consider mixing with Traktor to be off limits would be entirely reasonable.

Personally, I'd say that mixing live with Traktor or any other similar package where you are putting tracks together on the fly should acceptable - packages/submissions where the mix has been laboured over i.e. not in real-time wouldn't be fair to the vinyl/CD guys. Mixing live in any format has every opportunity for disaster - and spontaneous brilliance - which is what it's all about at the end of the day!

anyway, with too many tunes to ever convert (without the prospect of maintaining any form of life away from the machine) surely there's going to be quite a few of us who are going to be mixing using multiple formats for some years to come?

*looks guiltily at piles of vinyl and project plan to convert that has shamelessly slipped....and slipped...and slipped again)

:-)

These 'no computer shizzle' folk are deluding themselves
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by daveq View Post
    if I'm reading the original post correctly it's the other DJs who are saying that they haven't used "computer shizzle" (brilliant phrase, must remember to use it more often :-)) not the organisers. In which case an email to clarify with the judges whether they consider mixing with Traktor to be off limits would be entirely reasonable.
    ah, my apologies that appears to be what he was getting at. In that case yeah i agree, send an email to the organisers and clarify what is acceptable.

Tech Convert

hi! i uploaded my mix, if you want you can listen at it on the next website

http://www.mixfactor.be/dj/bijnes%20en%20krieke

would like it if u give a comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast