MacBook: Power off vs Sleep - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    sebastiannz

Sleep too. Don't miss the daily reboot cycle of a PC. I'd like to think that you don't need to reboot for a gig though...you shouldn't really need to on the 'best OS in the world' right

You don't need to let your battery fully drain on new macbook pros (with built in batteries). All this does is increase your cycle count. If you wish to calibrate your battery, which doesn't improve performance but can improve your battery readings.

Macbook chargers stop charging that battery after a certain point -- between 90-100% to prevent overcharging. If you watch your macbook power charger the lights will change around this point indicating no power through the batter - you're just running off AC power at this point. You can keep your macbook plugged in while on sleep or doing anything without issue.

Apple does recommend to occasionally let the battery cycle to 50% then charge it back up to keep the current moving through the battery, but this is only needed if you run on AC power most of the time.

The trend of letting batteries cycle all the way until empty, then charging back up to preserve battery life is a habit left over from early portable battery technology. New batteries just don't need it.

I let my macbook sleep unless I am moving around a lot. I restart probably once a week or so, probably a habit left over from my pc time.

I am always so paranoid about batteries. I try to let it drain all the way before plugging it back in, but the more I read this really does seem to be a habit of the past and is no longer needed.

I guess I shouldn't worry so much. I do the same with my iphone...let it drain all the way before charging, yet almost everyone at work say they charge theirs nightly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123