MacBook: Power off vs Sleep
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MacBook: Power off vs Sleep

As the title says, what do you do, and why?
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

I just close it. (sleep)

Never really thought about why I do that, I guess I like that when you open it up you continue doing what you were previously litteraly in 5 seconds.

I occasionally restart my Mac when installing or updating software.
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

I just bought a Mac and was asking myself the same question.

Does anybody know does leaving your Mac in sleep mode effect the overall battery life?

Thanks
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

I almost always shut mine off when I know I'm not going to be using it for awhile. If I'm just tooling around the apartment for the day, I'll just close it up and put it into sleep if I know I'm going to getting right back at it.

I don't trust sleep mode honestly.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

If I'm leaving the house with it, power off. Although it only takes like 15 seconds to boot back up anyways. Otherwise, let it sleep!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

I leave mine in sleep mode ALL the time and only shut down if I know I won't be using my computer for a few days. At least once a month, if not more, I run the battery down all the way and let the auto shut off do it's thing. I do this because I read it helps in "resetting" your battery and how your computer reads the remaining % charge of the battery.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    At least once a month, if not more, I run the battery down all the way and let the auto shut off do it's thing. I do this because I read it helps in "resetting" your battery and how your computer reads the remaining % charge of the battery.
    This is the correct thing to do. The battery itself has a 'brain' if you will, that every so often needs a recalibration as the life of the battery dwindles. The batteries themselves trickle, that is, they charge until 100, use down to 95 and then charge back up again. This keeps it from continuously charging at full capacity, thus extending the life of the battery. Sleeping the machine or rebooting it makes no difference on the battery, if it's plugged in, it's plugged in.

A good dashboard app to use is istat. It will give you the remaining health of the battery without having to open the system profiler. It's pretty helpful for a number of other things as well, as it shows CPU usage, memory, running processes, hardware temps, etc.
    Last edited by geminimech; 11-26-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

sleep is fine....no need to shut off your macbook all the time unless you want to pretend you are using windows. i turn my off every few weeks for same reason as above.

option and click on battery icon in menubar will give you battery status.
    "normal" is just that

The only reason my system hasn't been on for a month straight is because I just installed the Solid Mix Series, Transient Punch, and Guitar Rig 5 and had to restart because NI is still suck in the dark ages and hasn't realized that there's basically no reason to do that.

Seriously…my computer stays on for months at a time with no problems, though it will wear the battery faster since I can't get hibernate to work. I'll probably start shutting it down occasionally.

Also, I never cycle my battery. I charge it every chance I get and leave it plugged in all the time if I can. My last battery was at 94% health after 3 years. I do the same thing with my iPhone and finish most days at above 85% remaining unless my girlfriend was playing angry birds.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    The only reason my system hasn't been on for a month straight is because I just installed the Solid Mix Series, Transient Punch, and Guitar Rig 5 and had to restart because NI is still suck in the dark ages and hasn't realized that there's basically no reason to do that.

Seriously…my computer stays on for months at a time with no problems, though it will wear the battery faster since I can't get hibernate to work. I'll probably start shutting it down occasionally.

Also, I never cycle my battery. I charge it every chance I get and leave it plugged in all the time if I can. My last battery was at 94% health after 3 years. I do the same thing with my iPhone and finish most days at above 85% remaining unless my girlfriend was playing angry birds.
    Bucking the trend like a boss .

Me and a friend of mine have competitions to see who can go the longest without rebooting. We get really burned when we have to restart for system updates
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast