Audio Interface with some decent gain
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Audio Interface with some decent gain

Hey djtt,

I've been doing tons of research and keep coming up with conflicting answers... hoping to get a nudge here.

I'm looking to get a usb audio interface that has balanced 2 channel output (trs, xlr whatever) with a separate channel for phones (trs). Here's the problem... when I record bedroom dj style I use akg k702 headphones... these things require quite a bit of power to drive (as most higher end phones do) so I need something that has some pretty massive power for the phones.

I'm assuming something that draws power from the usb bus isn't going to cut it.

I was pretty close to snagging an m-audio fast track pro until I read a review that said "the outputs were quiet"... whether or not this relates to the phone channel I don't know, the maudio spec sheet is shit. It only lists outputs in attenuation or only lists the THD... I have no idea.

My phones are 62ohm with a max voltage input of 200mV... I highly doubt that's rms but like I said... I'm a little lost here.

Only looking to spend $100-200 here...

Tech Wizard

bump

take your phones down to the local music shop and try out a few devices. Spec sheets differ so much from manufacturer to manufacturer also some reviewers can't even do a simple output test and say stupid things like "it's sounds good to us" ..

I have an audio4DJ, Audio8DJ and an S4, they all output loud enough to drive my phones @ 50mm, 3500mW, 32Ohm, 116dB

The fast track Pro I had powered my Sony's V700 & XBass without any problem, but i swapped it for the ADJ4 before i got the new phones (so i can't say what it's like).
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

Tech Wizard

Thanks man!

I've heard pretty good things about NI's audio interfaces as far as what you are looking for is concerned.

That being said, it's something that you don't have to worry too much about if you try using an external mixer at some point. Not sure where you are in terms of wanting to incorporate one into your setup, but that's what they are made for.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Or pick up one of these for a volume boost

I've always found the AKG's to be pretty quiet compared to other phones (apart from BD's) unless theres a pretty substantial output.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8"]Amazon.com: FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NW4rRZr0L.@@AMEPARAM@@31NW4rRZr0L[/ame]

Id recommend just getting a headphone amp, along with whatever soundcard you had in mind already.

I'd recommend getting your headphones fixed or your hearing checked.

I don't think I've ever turned any headphone volume control up past 60%…even in clubs. Something is wrong with your headphones or your ears.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ffrgtm View Post
    Hey djtt,

I've been doing tons of research and keep coming up with conflicting answers... hoping to get a nudge here.

I'm looking to get a usb audio interface that has balanced 2 channel output (trs, xlr whatever) with a separate channel for phones (trs). Here's the problem... when I record bedroom dj style I use akg k702 headphones... these things require quite a bit of power to drive (as most higher end phones do) so I need something that has some pretty massive power for the phones.

I'm assuming something that draws power from the usb bus isn't going to cut it.

I was pretty close to snagging an m-audio fast track pro until I read a review that said "the outputs were quiet"... whether or not this relates to the phone channel I don't know, the maudio spec sheet is shit. It only lists outputs in attenuation or only lists the THD... I have no idea.

My phones are 62ohm with a max voltage input of 200mV... I highly doubt that's rms but like I said... I'm a little lost here.

Only looking to spend $100-200 here...
    Sounds like you've got studio monitors and you want dj headphones....

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    Id recommend just getting a headphone amp, along with whatever soundcard you had in mind already.
    Ya man... that's what it's starting to look like I'm going to have to do.... was hoping to save some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'd recommend getting your headphones fixed or your hearing checked.

I don't think I've ever turned any headphone volume control up past 60%…even in clubs. Something is wrong with your headphones or your ears.
    "Reference quality" headphone have really high impedance and all pretty much require an amp. My hearing is pretty fucked either way though.

Quote Originally Posted by mablack View Post
    Sounds like you've got studio monitors and you want dj headphones....
    You're right on, but I have hdj2000's already. I use my akgs when I'm recording sets alone... I got sick of listening to a set in my car or on another set of speakers and realizing that mixes that sounded good in the hdj's sounded like SHIT through other sources. Monitor headphones are awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast