Audio Interface with some decent gain - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by pratikzparanoia View Post
    I have currently bought a Behringer NOX303 mixer and intend to use it with my laptop using traktor or VDJ . It has one in built USB audio interface . So to use another channel for in stereo i have to set it up with another portable USB audio interface , right ? Which one should i go for , will Behringer UCA202/222 do the job for me ? Or any other suggestions .

Response highly awaited as i am just too impatient to get get started with my gear
    probably, but this is NOT the recommended way to start to learn how to digital DJ.

Firstly, you will never get a decent response time from the pairing of the soundcards. Even one of those $1.00 USB soundcards on eBay will work, just not very well - but as well as the 202/222.

Secondly, how are you going to control Traktor ? You are still going to need some kind of controller, or you will have to get to learn the keyboard shortcuts extremely well.

You would have been better of getting something like this instead of the 303. My mate still uses one, and it performs as well as my S4, he swears by it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hercules-DJ-...item2eb9a0a63e

Good luck
    Last edited by JSM; 12-01-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: left out info
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Firstly, you will never get a decent response time from the pairing of the soundcards. Even one of those $1.00 USB soundcards on eBay will work, just not very well - but as well as the 202/222.
    Blasphemy! ... Cost me $4 for the 8x8 channel :P

But seriously, get a 4ch sound card like the Audio2, Numark IO, Fastrack ...its well worth while it'll drive you insane needing to chain stuff up on an ongoing basis and its never stable (unless you are on a mac

JSM, I disagree completely. The hercules things are not the same experience as mixing on a real mixer. They're controlling software, so it doesn't matter as much if all you're worried about is the final product, but they feel like toys…more than basically any other controller out there.

Also, the nox303 is a rip off of one of my favorite mixer designs ever, which vestax made several versions of (275, 17a 170, 180, 185, etc.).

IMHO, the best thing to do for that on a reasonable budget is either an NI Traktor Auidio 6 or Serato SL3.

A lot of Behringer's gear is good for the price, but I don't think I'd trust them to make an audio interface. Their DJ gear has been spotty at best, though the nox series is supposed to be decent. I'd love to try a nox303, but I can't bring myself to pay $350 for a Behringer copy of a long line of basically $200 mixers from a more reputable manufacturer.

Also, on OS X at least, aggregated sound cards seem to work okay for me the couple times I've tried it.

@deevey, what the heck are those things?

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Or pick up one of these for a volume boost

I've always found the AKG's to be pretty quiet compared to other phones (apart from BD's) unless theres a pretty substantial output.

Amazon.com: FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier: Electronics
    Bought one a while ago. Sounded like a good idea. Wouldn't charge within a year.

On-topic: My Presonus Firebox is quite loud and has balanced outputs like you asked for. It's firewire and discontinued, but you might look into the Audiobox USB instead http://www.presonus.com/products/Det...x?ProductId=53 . Headphone output on the back which is kind of annoying but aside from that, seems up your alley. And as mentioned, check out NI's Kontrol audio cards.

Firebox is loud as hell (louder than A2DJ). The front panel headphone pot is marked 0-11, which I find quite true. It is sad that Firewire is getting phased out, hopefully someone makes thunderbolt-Firewire interface one day.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    JSM, I disagree completely. The hercules things are not the same experience as mixing on a real mixer. They're controlling software, so it doesn't matter as much if all you're worried about is the final product, but they feel like toys…more than basically any other controller out there.
    So my mate isn't outputting two stereo pairs into my my old mixer, and controlling Traktor from the buttons/jogs on the MK2. I must have been seeing things, as for looking like a toy ... he painted his piano black, re-labelled it ... and now it looks like a small version of my S4 ... again, i must have been seeing things.

It also has amazing latency at 24Bit, ... but I suppose I'm wrong about that too .... come to think of maybe my mate isn't real either ... and I haven't been DJ'ing with him for the last 4 years, whilst I go through a ton of new kit, and he keeps using the Herc Mk2.:eek:
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Claire
    Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.
    I don't know why people take discussions about opinions of gear so personally.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I don't know why people take discussions about opinions of gear so personally.
    "JSM, I disagree completely. The hercules things are not the same experience as mixing on a real mixer."

is that not a personal view from you?

Tech Wizard

Good news! I bought the new traktor audio 2 and it has plenty of gain for these phones. Back when I had my s4 you could hardly even hear anything coming from the phones port but this thing has no problem.

Pretty pleased with this tiny thing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12