Help me pick a Midi Keyboard for Ableton/Komplete
    Tech Guru

Default Help me pick a Midi Keyboard for Ableton/Komplete

What's up guys, i'm in the market for a new keyboard. Currently i've got a Microkorg XL that i've been using for midi but the keys are really tiny and I find myself wanting knobs and faders to control functions within Ableton/Komplete instruments. I might also be looking to get rid of the Microkorg XL and just keep everything in the box, I find it helps me get in the flow easier and I pretty much always have my laptop with me to try out new things where I find i'm barely getting to my microkorg xl.

The two so far that i've had my eyes on are the MPK 49 or the novation 49sl mk2. The Novation keyboard looks very appealing due to it's automap feature. What do you guys think? Also the drum pads aren't appealing since I have Maschine.

Tech Mentor

well get a full keyboard then if the midi keyboards feel small for you. like something over 61 keys.

Check out those casio 300 somethings, I forgot the name.

I have the SL 49 MK II. Love it. To be honest though any keys will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    I have the SL 49 MK II. Love it. To be honest though any keys will do.
    Correct, providing you don't know how to/don't have experience actually playing keyboard/piano. Cheaper Midi keyboards don't have the same action the weighted keys present.

M-audio (Axiom), Novation and Akai all do good basic controllers. You just need to look around and decide EXACTLY what features you want. Do you want a auto mapper? How many sliders and pots? do you want drum pads? weighted keys? build quality?

I was tossing up between a novation nocturn and an impulse 49. I tried a friends akai MPK25 and although its a great controller, i didnt like the feel of it and the features it offered i felt were less than its competitors.

What i liked about the axiom and the novation gear was their versions of auto mapping, which funnily enough at the end of the day is why i dropped the novation off the list and almost bought the axiom 49. I didnt like the idea of having ANOTHER piece of software running in the background all the time (as novations automap does).

I actually ended up coming across the Arturia laboratory when i was searching around for decent softsynths. I was immediately impressed by its build quality, the thing is a tank! Metal case, 49 keys, real wooden ends, looks great and had plenty of knobs and sliders. The software it came with was a good bonus too. I smash the hell out of the thing heaps and it keeps going strong. Only down sides are that it only has limited DAW plugin support so you need to map it yourself majority of the time, which isnt really a biggie. For when I just want to do quick tweaks I use an apple magic track pad set it up to 3 finger click and hold. Works a treat

Im looking at picking up a second midi keyboard now. Also i guess why im writing this haha

tl;dr
    Hands down id grab a M-Audio Axiom in whatever key configuration your looking at. It has a cool on board automap for midi, its easy to customize and has decent keys.
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

I probably should of read your original post better lol

Automap is something that people either love it or hate it.. and if you already have maschine why would you want more drum pads?

For me, I dont like the idea of having extra unnecessary software running on my computer, and really, it takes about 2 sec's to map a control so why bother with software to do it for you?
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Tech Guru

Jazz mutant, could you explain the automap feature? What do you mean when you say there's another piece of software running in the background with automap?

Tech Mentor

You don't have to use automap, the keys will still be key's and the controls still send out cc's. Automap lets you quickly assign things to them. I don't use automap at all for my nocturn keyboard. Its handy if you want those features, but you don't need to have it running to use the keyboard.

Tech Guru

Is the automap what allows the Novation screen to communicate what functions are being controlled?